Filtration advice

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
Wile
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Currently in ground gunite pool with chlorine and cartridge filtration system. Finish is Finest Finish quartz plaster.

Filtration advice

Postby Wile » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 18:51

We have a new gunite pool with quartz plaster finish and Limestone coping. We contracted for a salt pool and got a chlorine pool. Due to health issues simple chlorine is not an option. we confronted contractor as salt and limestone don’t play well together. They have proposed a combo filtration system involving UV/ozone system with the introduction of minimal salt. Pool volume is approximately 13,500 gallons.
The contractor is in a bit of a pickle, they recommended the limestone coping. The options at the moment are remove the limestone coping and replace with salt friendly stone and install salt cell per contract (which would be costly and a new mess in our yard not to mention damage to water line tile and surrounding concrete deck) OR go with current combo proposal.
We want to resolve this as quickly and with the least disruption to the pool and property as possible. Is their proposal reasonable? Thanks

Wile
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Currently in ground gunite pool with chlorine and cartridge filtration system. Finish is Finest Finish quartz plaster.

Re: Filtration advice

Postby Wile » Wed 22 Aug, 2018 18:55

Does anyone know of a pool consultant in the Austin, Tx area who might help with determining a correct solution?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 02:43

A salt water pool is still a chlorine pool, it's just how you get the chlorine in the pool
The SWCG create's the chlorine from the salt where as liquid chlorine and tablets have the chlorine in them
Don't go for a puck dispenser as it introduce to much cyanuric acid and will render your chlorine ineffective as do granules
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) will also add salt over time
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 03:01

Very very few people have a medically diagnosed allergy to chlorine so what is the real issue?
Strelets_410
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Don't have one yet

Postby Strelets_410 » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 06:27

Well, it isn't necessarily an issue of having a chlorine allergy, but some people have, for example, very sensitive eyes or nostrils and chlorinated water will hurt ; it won't kill them, but it will be quite unpleasant, and since the point of a swimming pool is to have fun...
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 06:36

As I said earlier all pools have chlorine except bromine, it's the way you get it that is different
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 23 Aug, 2018 08:32

Strelets_410 wrote:Well, it isn't necessarily an issue of having a chlorine allergy, but some people have, for example, very sensitive eyes or nostrils and chlorinated water will hurt ; it won't kill them, but it will be quite unpleasant, and since the point of a swimming pool is to have fun...

Can I ask if the unpleasant experience is from a well run private pool or a commercial municipal pool?
A lot of people's recollection of stinging eyes or nostrils is from commercial municipal pools with high bather numbers, this is a chlorine byproduct and does not occur in a well managed domestic pool, especially an outdoor pool.
There are low salt units available and these still produce a small enough level of chlorine to keep the water safe but they also produce hydroxyl radicals that breakdown chloramines and pretty much anything else you wouldn't want in your pool. The salt level is only 1500 parts per million so also unlikely to damage limestone. I am going to install one of these units on my own pool for next season.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”