bromine users w/ musty pool smell

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
iowa pool owner

bromine users w/ musty pool smell

Postby iowa pool owner » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 07:30

hi.

we have a 33,000 gallon inground pool and we use bromine as a sanitizer.

when we test, alkalinity, ph, bromine levels are all where they should be, but our water still has a musty smell. it's noticeable on swimmers/swimsuits when they get out of the pool.

what are we doing wrong and how can we fix this?

thanks in advance for your help. this site is very helpful.

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Wed 20 Jun, 2007 22:56

I've never known anyone to use Bromine in a large swimming pool. Usually Bromine is used in small bodies of water, ie spas because it cannot be stabilized very well.

Sorry I cannot help you. I hope someone comes along, who can. I'd be interested in the info, too.

edited to add:
I did do a simple Google search for "bromine swimming pool smells musty" and there are several hits that say, it's time to shock.
spa store in iowa

Re: bromine users w/ musty pool smell

Postby spa store in iowa » Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:50

iowa pool owner wrote:hi.
If you shock your pool more you should be able to get rid of the smell, Bromine is working in your pool but the ppms might be high, heavy use of the pool, sun and heat add to the problems in pools. Evaporation takes the water out but the disolved solids are still there and they build up. Take your water to a reputable spa store and have your water tested. More can be found out there.
we have a 33,000 gallon inground pool and we use bromine as a sanitizer.

when we test, alkalinity, ph, bromine levels are all where they should be, but our water still has a musty smell. it's noticeable on swimmers/swimsuits when they get out of the pool.

what are we doing wrong and how can we fix this?

thanks in advance for your help. this site is very helpful.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”