Aquapure troubles ... Help!

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
ColoradoV
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18000 gal gunite with spa built in. Salt chorine generator.

Aquapure troubles ... Help!

Postby ColoradoV » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 22:19

Just bought a house with 18,000g pool. I'm a decent electronics tech, but have no experience with pool electronics (or pools for that matter).

Looks like the system is about 10 years old: Jandy/Purelink/Aquapure 1400/iAqualink 2.0
Here's a minor update of the paper manual I have. Content seems mostly identical: https://www.jandy.com/-/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0573500.pdf

Unfortunately the SWCG (Aquapure) is doing nothing. When I try to reach it with the iAqualink web app, it says "AquaPure not found. Check AquaPure RS485 and power connections."

Turned out someone stepped on the sensor (RS485) cable yanking out the connection inside the control box. The hidden Aquapure panel was reporting "Service" with a 172 error code, which means "sensor unplugged".

So just plug it in, right?

I wish... The RS485 cable runs to a tiny circuit board (the connection that was pulled out). This was floating free. Uninsulated. Weird. No manual I can find mentions this little board.

From the board there's a foot-long 8-wire Dupont jumper to the internal "Aquapure power interface board". It was routed in contact with the top of the control box, hit by direct sun. The insulation of all wires was baked to dust for about 2". Conductors were bare copper.

Hoping for the best, I carefully rebuilt this jumper and plugged everything in.

Sigh... No dice. The error code is now 170 "Possible Front board service condition or unit not
correctly wired to 115 VAC. Contact an authorized service representative."

Pulling out the sensor plug takes things back exactly to where they were. At least I didn't make anything worse.

A few questions for starters:
  • What's the next troubleshooting step? Do I need to buy a new sensor (ouch)?
  • The shorted jumper was probably plugged into the interface board for a long time. Is the board probably zapped (even though the display is working)? Any way to tell?
  • Any other directions to take?

All possible thanks for any... What a way to start out home ownership...

Update

I did finally did find a mention of the jumper here: https://bestpoolshop.com/product/jandy-sensor-adapter-cable-r-kit-purelink-wakc13-r0538600/

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”