PcB code error

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
tsellati
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground 24-foot salt water pool cleaned by a Hayward Power Flow Matrix pump and an Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator.

PcB code error

Postby tsellati » Mon 20 Jul, 2020 15:21

I have a 24-ft above ground salt water pool cleaned by a Hayward Power Flow Matrix pump and a Hayward Aqua Trol Salt Chlorine Generator. Pool has been running flawlessly since it was opened 15th June. Just yesterday I notived a PcB code error in the digital display window and all the lights were lit!

Did a little digging and came across this old thread on the forum -

viewtopic.php?t=8417

Thing is, my Aqua Trol is a bit different from what is described and I don't see anything that looks like a black, soldered inthruster the size of a quarter in the top right corner of the pcb. And, for that matter, being new to pool problems like this, what the heck does "pcb" stand for??? I cannot find it mentioned anywhere.

Regardless, I took the front panel off and snapped some pictures. Not knowing what I am looking at, but realizing nothing looks overtly burnt out or broken, I was hoping someone might help me troubleshoot my problem.

I have some pictures, but I am unsure how to upload them from my laptop. I have them as .jpg files rather than have them on a photo hosting site.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Tim

katuga
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I will provide later.

Re: PcB code error

Postby katuga » Thu 23 Jul, 2020 12:05

Tim,
From Google Search:
A Printed Circuit Board (PCB) mechanically supports and electrically connects electrical or electronic components using conductive tracks, pads and other features etched from one or more sheet layers of copper laminated onto and/or between sheet layers of a non-conductive substrate. Components are generally soldered onto the PCB to both electrically connect and mechanically fasten them to it. The Aquatrol model is consists of 2 PCB's, commonly known as the mainboard or Controller board and the Display board.

I am not sure what "inthruster" means but the correct term for the black quarter size disk the link is referring to is "Thermistor or Current Limiter" (see the below pic). The correct part# is SL32 2R025 = Digi-Key Part Number 570-1062-ND or AS32 2R025 = Digi-Key Part Number 570-1105-ND. The former is known to have high failure rate as compared to the latter. Replacing electronic component parts requires some basic desoldering and soldering skills.

Do you have Aquatrol-RJ or Aquatrol-HP? Some pics would help us determine, though! Please check this out > https://hayward-pool-assets.com/assets/documents/pools/pdf/manuals/AquaTrol.pdf
Also, you need to post the diagnostic readings in order for us to help you better. Run the pump and move the switch to Auto. Fill in the below where applicable.
Diagnostic Displays:
Sequential pushes of the small "diagnostic" button next to the LCD display will
cause the Aqua Trolto display the following information:
1. Pool temperature (xx degrees Fahrenheit or Celsius) =
2. Cell voltage (typically 22.0 to 26.0 volts when chlorine is being generated, otherwise 30-35V) =
3. Cell current (typically 2.50 to 4.00 amps when chlorine is being generated, otherwise 0 amps) =
4. Desired Output % ("0P" -- "100P" depending on knob position ) =
5. Instant salinity ( -xxxx ppm or -x.xx grams/Liter) =
6. Product name sent to the display ("AL-6" signifies "Aqua Trol" (STD), ("AL-7"
signifies "Aqua Trol Return-Jet") =
7. Software revision level (r1.xx) =

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”