Ozone generator and UV light questions

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
markpg101
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: New pool owner. 7 x 3 meter pool and 4 feet deep. My pump and filter is by waterco. I have a ozone generator and uv light installed

Ozone generator and UV light questions

Postby markpg101 » Mon 28 Mar, 2022 20:24

Good day, I am a new pool owner. I had my contractor install an ozone generator and uv light but after a few weeks, my pool has been cloudy and has been turning green. My ph levels were a little high so we put some dry acid. it helped with the cloudiness but after a few days, algae started growing. Note that our pool is just 3 weeks old. It made me question if my ozone and UV light is working properly or if it has the right connection by my pool contractor. I researched more and found out that my ozone generator doesn't have any ozone injection manifold which I assume controls the ozone gas to the pool which is included in the items manual but my contractor said that there was no injection manifold included. I really have doubts on how my contractor has connected my ozone and uv light. I will post a photo of my pools connection here. I would appreciate it if someone can help me with this so i can educate my pool contractor. Thank you

I am having a hard time posting my photo since there is no option in this page.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Ozone generator and UV light questions

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 04:35

Where you write a post
Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop
Attachments
Add image.jpg
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Mike_Snoo » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 05:05

You need to maintain a minimum of chlorine even with a UV Ozone system.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Postby Teapot1 » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 07:37

Indoor or outdoor pool?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
markpg101
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: New pool owner. 7 x 3 meter pool and 4 feet deep. My pump and filter is by waterco. I have a ozone generator and uv light installed

Postby markpg101 » Tue 29 Mar, 2022 21:39

outdoor pool
markpg101
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby markpg101 » Wed 30 Mar, 2022 00:28

Here is how my setup looks like.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 9.36.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 9.36.08 AM.png (900.33 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Wed 30 Mar, 2022 02:58

Pretty pointless on an outdoor pool as the suns UV is stong enough to burn off chloramines. O zone is very unstable but highly reactive, it will kill and oxidise most things that move through the pipework past the injection point but there are caveats. Algae are attached to the pool walls so very little will go free floating into the pipework unless its first killed by chlorine. Ozone because of its unstable nature recombines back to water in under half a second which at best is around 3-4 feet of pipework so nothing would make it to the pool basin which is one reason you are already seeing this problem. These types of setups were some of the first problem pools I worked on when I joined the industry.
You only filter a percentage of the water each turnaround. Even running 24 hours you only achieve around 98% of water through the filter. That means untreated nutrient rich water is there at around 50% of the time so you dont get on top of the issues you are facing. Chlorine constantly in the pool will kill most things quickly and thats what you need.

What was the reason for installing UV and ozone, what are you wanting to achieve?
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.
markpg101
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby markpg101 » Thu 31 Mar, 2022 00:13

Thank you for the info. We installed the ozone and uv for the reason that we were made to believe that we would only use 10% of chlorine compared to a pool without it. is this true? what dosage of chlorine do you recommend with an ozone, uv setup? my pool is 7 x 3 meters and is 4 feet deep. my pump is 1.5 hp.
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 31 Mar, 2022 00:41

What we do know is UV breaks down chlorine, that can be the suns UV on an outdoor pool or a UV lamp usually used on indoor pools to help break down chloramines ( byproducts of chlorine sanitation )
You have to protect the chlorine in an outdoor pool from being burned up by the suns UV with a chlorine stabiliser, often cyanuric acid (CYA) is used and so all sorces of UV actually increase the amount of chlorine you use. You should be able to use 0.5ppm of chlorine but you still have to keep it at that level so a stabiliser is needed, the level of stabilser needs to be 30-50ppm for CYA to give the chlorine a +4 hours lifespan in your pool. So you will be adding chlorine everyday.
Depending where you are in the world you may use an alternative stabiliser like Dryden Aqua's ACO this increases the performance of chlorine as ACO reacts with UV to produce an even stronger sanitising action.
Is your pump a variable speed version, if not its too big for the size of your pool and filter which results in reduced water quality and double the electric bill, 0.75 hp would have been fine, variable speed best. Slower filtration is better filtration and that improves the water quality by removing more contamination, dirt etc. That means there is less work for chlorine to do which in turn reduces the amount of chlorine you use, still dependant on loss to the suns UV as said above.
markpg101
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby markpg101 » Thu 31 Mar, 2022 00:49

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”