Changing to salt filter

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
megsmom05
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Above ground round pool metal 15,000 gallons 4 and 1/2 feet deep salt filter

Changing to salt filter

Postby megsmom05 » Sat 27 May, 2023 07:46

We have an above ground metal pool. It was not purchased at Walmart. It is 4and 1/2 feet deep. 15,000 gallons of water. We were needing details on how to switch it over. It has a sand filter. We were concerned with it maybe rusting? Is this an issue? I feel salt will save us money over time as chlorine and bleach has gotten expensive and salt might be better for our skin. Any help on this is appreciated. Thanks so much.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Changing to salt filter

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 27 May, 2023 09:45

Just fit the SWCG
The salt won't be as strong as sea salt
You really need one twice the rated output for your pool because the are based on 24/7
The cells do wear out though and can be expensive
Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Changing to salt filter

Postby Teapot1 » Sat 27 May, 2023 13:08

The metal usually used is a zintec type so quite rust resistant. The std salt chlorinators use around 3500 ppm of salt, the sea is around 35000 ppm. There are low salt versions that use around 1500ppm and that is below most corrosion level. You need to start with stabilised pool salt to get the right CYA level 30-50 ppm usually but often up to 70ppm with chlorinators.
Low salt chlorinators are a bit more advanced and produce hydroxyl radicals as well which are far more powerful than chlorine. The chlorine is only there as a residual with the hydroxyl radical doing most of the work. Look at AOP water treatment, Advanced oxidation process. Do also check your pump can use salt water not all can.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”