Saltwater Chlorinator installation tips

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .

Saltwater Chlorinator installation tips

Postby Guest » Thu 16 Aug, 2007 06:25

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Monarch Aquachlor 260 for my pool. I intend to fit it myself, but the enclosed instructions do not give any guidance on fitting other than a drawing which shows that it should be fitted between the filter and the return lines to the pool, to keep it horizontal and make sure the flow is going the right way, which all seems obvious anyway. I just thought I'd submit a post asking for any guidance/experience that anyone may have, or any mistakes to avoid :? .

I have experience plumbing a house, but the pool fittings are very different - any types of fittings/adhesive etc I should go for/avoid? The existing pipes are PVC-U 63mm OD & 50mm OD and the Aquachlor has 70mm OD pipes made of a transparent plastic - I assume the adhesive will stick to this okay....

Well, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul :)

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 16 Aug, 2007 08:18

You speak in millimeters so I assume your are in Canada or across the pond?

Here in the US the PVC pipe used for pools is the same as used for household plumbing, so the same PVC cements are used...I usually use the blue stuff.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
donaldm823
I'm new here
I'm new here

Re: Saltwater Chlorinator installation tips

Postby donaldm823 » Fri 17 Aug, 2007 09:22

Anonymous wrote:Hello,

I have recently purchased a Monarch Aquachlor 260 for my pool. I intend to fit it myself, but the enclosed instructions do not give any guidance on fitting other than a drawing which shows that it should be fitted between the filter and the return lines to the pool, to keep it horizontal and make sure the flow is going the right way, which all seems obvious anyway. I just thought I'd submit a post asking for any guidance/experience that anyone may have, or any mistakes to avoid :? .

I have experience plumbing a house, but the pool fittings are very different - any types of fittings/adhesive etc I should go for/avoid? The existing pipes are PVC-U 63mm OD & 50mm OD and the Aquachlor has 70mm OD pipes made of a transparent plastic - I assume the adhesive will stick to this okay....

Well, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul :)

I just installed a Autopilot Digital SWG which comes with a 2inch manifold. The manifold has the flow sensor and salt cell put together so all you have to do is glue in the manifold. (the manifold is like an upside down "U" so it acts as a trap and prevents any cell gas as well as chlorine from migrating back to the heater. I used regular PVC glue and PVC primer and installed the manifold between my gas heater outlet and the 3way pool valve that sends the outlet water to either my pool discharge, pool drain, or my Polaris vacuum. I utilized 2 inch unions, as they come with o-rings and make up alot for any pipe misalignment (takes the heat off measurments and straight cuts). Also using unions, you can remove the manifold during the winter if desired.

Just measure the piping and fittings carefully, allow for amount of PVC for the fitting (pipe goes in further into the fitting with glue than the dry fit), and also allow for glue cure time (I waited 2 hr) before starting your pump. Make sure you prime both the PVC pipe and the PVC fitting before applying glue to the same items, then push the items together with a 90degree twist then hold them together for 30sec.

Also, BEFORE adding any salt, get a Taylor salt titrant kit K-1766 or salt test strips and measure your present salt in the pool. My pool is only 1.5 years old, and I had almost 1200ppm salt in the pool prior to adding any salt (from using liquid chlorine and other additives). As a result, I only had to add 300lbs of salt where as the salt tables said a "*spamm*" pool requires 756 lbs of salt to get salt content up the the required 3000ppm
Don
30,000 gal inground concrete pool
2hp pump/60ft3 DE filter
Autopilot SWG
using BBB for pool chemicals
using LaMotte ColorQ for pool chemistry

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”