Chem-less copper Ionizer

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
bonzainy144

Chem-less copper Ionizer

Postby bonzainy144 » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 12:54

Hi ,I have a copper ionizer too and I'm having a problem with cloudy water even though my water is perfect according to watsons family leisure. Bonnie

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Chem-less copper Ionizer

Postby chem geek » Sat 27 Jun, 2009 16:03

ionizer wrote:no pool sanitizer system is perfect, most customers expect to much out of them, the chemless system has been a dependable system with very little problems, if there is a problem i suggest you contact the company for help because they can't help you if they don't know that there is a problem.

That's true that none is perfect, but all I add to my 16,000 gallon pool is 7 cups of 12.5% chlorinating liquid twice a week costing $15 plus every month or two I add a cup or two of acid. That's it. Doesn't get much simpler, easier, or less expensive than that. The water is crystal clear. Of course, I have a pool cover so that makes the chlorine usage low at around 1 ppm FC per day so I don't need to add chlorine every day or two. I don't need to shock since I keep my Free Chlorine (FC) at no lower than 7.5% of the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. I don't need any supplemental algaecide nor phosphate remover in spite of my pool's phosphate level being around 2000-3000 ppb. It isn't the only way to manage a pool, but it is one way.

This year I added 50 ppm Borates to the pool which is purely optional but does seem to provide some insurance at preventing algae growth if I ever let the FC get too low (relative to CYA). It also provides additional pH buffering though that was not a problem in my pool.

Richard
fanta

copper ionizer

Postby fanta » Fri 31 Jul, 2009 17:55

bubba wrote:highly dissagree! i own a copper ionizer and besides non chlorine shocking everyother week my pool is maintaince AND chemical free! my pool water is sparkling clean too. EBAY 225.00 best money i ever spent

We spent almost $4000 on a new liner/filter rebuild/ionizer for our 20,000 gallon inground pool. The water is visually perfect, but highly alkaline (well water: not hard, but alkaline). We have added nine gallons of muratic acid in the past three weeks, and are adding again tonight. On the other hand, Ph and other readings are where they should be. Jury is still out on whether to add bleach (and a stabilizer?), but the pool sure is nice to swim in...and it doesn't smell of anything.

BTW, any ionizer users having problems with FIELD RATS going for a swim in the pool? Since we changed over, seems like the wildlife is throwing a party in the backyard! Gross.

Deaun
Pool owner who uses an ioniser

Ioniser

Postby Pool owner who uses an ioniser » Sat 16 Jan, 2010 18:03

Fitted an ioniser in May 2009 when the chlorinator electrodes wore out. Always disliked having to have the high chlorine concentrations in the pool, which incidently never got rid of black spot algae in particular parts of the pool. Yes I was sceptical especially as no pool shops advocated the use of an ioniser. The common refrain was that ionisers could not cope with tropical conditions (Brisbane).
All went well through the winter months and then we hit the hot humid algae growth promoting summer and ............. Nothing! No change. No algae. Black spot has disappeared. The water is clean and clear. Now I ask myself why didn't I change systems years ago?
This is how I operate the pool: I run the filter along with the ioniser for 3 hours each day (used to be 8 hours with the chlorinator). Once a week I put in 1 litre of liquid chlorine (60 cents at the local pool shop) to oxidise the dead algae killed by the ions, test pH and copper levels. Copper is starting to get a bit high now so I'm going to run the ioniser for only an hour and a half for the next few weeks. Oh yes the pool is not that small, its 67000 litres and I paid Aus $1200 for the ionizer, which was $400 less than a new autochlorinator from the local pool shops. Hope this helps. I'm also going to stop using chlorine as an oxidiser and try hydrogen peroxide instead.

Chem-less copper Ionizer

Postby Guest » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 04:31

I love ions too, though I have stuck with chlorine. I keep free chlorine at around 0.5ppm and no one can even tell that there is any chlorine in the water. It's cheap and easy too.

I tried monopersulfate but I couldn't measure residuals and ended up shocking more often than needed so it cost me a fortune.

Our ioniser puts out copper and silver ions which supposedly beats plain copper hands down.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Chem-less copper Ionizer

Postby chem geek » Mon 18 Jan, 2010 21:53

Do you two pool owners who recently posted have vinyl liner pools? What pH do you keep your pools? Copper is very effective at preventing and killing algae while silver is better at preventing uncontrolled bacterial growth (though is still far slower than chlorine for killing bacteria quickly). However, these metal ions can stain if their concentration gets too high and/or the pH gets too high. This staining is more of a problem with plaster pools, so that's why I ask.

Chem-less copper Ionizer

Postby Guest » Tue 19 Jan, 2010 06:28

Do you two pool owners who recently posted have vinyl liner pools?

I have a tiled pool and keep the ph at around 7.2. I never had a stain even when the ph went sky high last year - it went over 8 while we were on vacation and the chlorine dropped to zero, but still no algae. :thumbup:

Cheers chem geek
prairiepool

Chem-less copper Ionizer

Postby prairiepool » Wed 30 May, 2012 11:55

I also have a copper/silver ionizer. I wonder if anyone else has as much trouble as I do reading the darn copper test strips? On our strips the level goes from pink to light purple. Really? Pink to purple? Not much variation. Any tips on how to get an acurate reading?
drchemy

Chem-less copper Ionizer

Postby drchemy » Mon 23 Jul, 2012 19:22

I don't understand why you need the ionizer. You can just as easily maintain the copper level in the pool generated with the ionizer (0.2 to 0.3 ppm) by adding a pint of copper based algacide every few months. I have one but I feel it was a waste of money.
poolog
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 32,000 litres, fibreglass, 1hp with sand filter.Changed to copper/ silver ionised from salt chlorinator.

Re: Chem-less copper Ionizer

Postby poolog » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 02:49

Its 3 1/2 years since the last post but I would be grateful for any advice on my copper ionised pool which develops a dark grey stain where the water surface meets the fibreglass.
I can remove it immediately with hydrochloric acid but it gradually returns within 2 - 3 days.
Both ascorbic acid or liquid chlorine have no effect .
The TA and PH always test low so I am adding acid for the stain and then have to add borax to raise the PH and bicarb soda to raise the TA.Then the stain comes back.Any ideas please?
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Sat 09 Jan, 2016 06:06

Welcome to the forums poolog

If the "stain" is grey it is probably not related to the ionizer. Is there any chance of a photograph?

Waterline discoloration is often due to oil, swimmer residue or scale. Can the stain be removed at all with a light abrasive (e.g. Scotch Brite)?

Increasing the pH and TA makes the water more prone to scaling. Do you know the calcium hardness or total hardness value for your pool?

Larry
poolog
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 32,000 litres, fibreglass, 1hp with sand filter.Changed to copper/ silver ionised from salt chlorinator.

Postby poolog » Sun 10 Jan, 2016 02:14

Hi Larry,
Thanks for the quick response.
I had assumed that it would be the ioniser as I had no problem when it was a salt pool.
It makes sense that it could be down to calcium as the hydrochloric acid removes it so quickly.
I will get it tested and get back to you with the results.
Thanks.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”