Does a Salt Chlorinator system require a non-metal pool?

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
Blueshark
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Blueshark » Thu 20 Sep, 2007 10:21

I just replaced my above-ground pool. The salesperson indicated that if I wanted to install a salt chlorinator system, I had to buy a pool that had no metal parts at all: resin wall, post and connectors only. Otherwise, the salt water will corrode the metal parts. Of course the resin-only pool costs three times the amount of the regular pool!

The professional pool installer that I hired told me that this was a bunch of B.S. The pool manufacturers just want to make more profits! He has seen numerous salt systems installed on regular pools: no problem. The driver of the tanker truck that filled my pool has a salt system installed in his metal pool and never had any problems either. I realize that salt water systems have probably not been around that long, that a steel wall would become corroded and fail. I also know that the salt content in a pool is very low, much less than human tears.

So, my question is: should I install a salt chlorinator with a regular (metal) swimming pool?

:?

Postby Guest » Thu 05 Sep, 2013 23:17

I'm wondering if you found an answer. I'd like to know myself
CGPoolman
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby CGPoolman » Fri 06 Sep, 2013 07:27

The pool installer is correct - that is a bunch of BS. Especially in an above ground pool, the water is contained inside a vinyl liner - it does not touch the metal pool wall. If you have a metal pool ladder that sits inside the pool, I would suggest maybe getting a resin ladder but the pool wall itself does not matter in my opinion.

On the flip side of that argument, maintaining an accurate salt level is crucial. If your salt level is too high, your water will be more on the corrosive side and will accelerate the wear and tear on your pool pump.

-CG

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”