Aqua Rite salt level reads zero

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
exit63
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 16X32 with a 3 foot Roman end. 22,500 gallons, 3 year old vinyl liner, Perflex EC65 DE filter, new Aqua Rite Salt unit

Aqua Rite Unit Display??

Postby exit63 » Sat 29 May, 2010 20:30

I just had a salt unit installed. The owners manual leaves much to be desired. Does anyone know what the LED readings mean? I have a Goldline Aqua Rite unit. I know the salt reading and temperature displays. The rest are a mystery. The manual could have shown a picture and explained what they mean. A couple of them look like they are in Klingon.

Tink

Postby Tink » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 20:04

If you go to the Goldline controls web site you can print them. off hand the first # is the salt level. Push the diagnostics button once and you'll get the pull temp. Push a second time and you'll get the cell voltage and so on!!!
Tink

Postby Tink » Wed 23 Jun, 2010 20:06

ooops! I should have proof read! should be pool temp.
mjlites

Postby mjlites » Sun 01 Aug, 2010 18:59

How do I know if my salt cell needs to be replaced? My Aqua Rite was reading 2300ppm of salt so before reading all of the previous posts, I poured 4 bags of salt in it, then 5 hours later had the water tested at a pool store and they told me I'm at 4200ppm. I also have black algea growing in it and the pool store associate told me I needed to balance the water before adding algea killer to it.

My question is do I need to replace my salt cell (its 4 years old) or can it be fixed, and how do I fix the Aqua Rite to read properly? Thanks for your time reading this.

Mark
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 02 Aug, 2010 11:17

mjlites wrote:How do I know if my salt cell needs to be replaced? My Aqua Rite was reading 2300ppm of salt so before reading all of the previous posts, I poured 4 bags of salt in it, then 5 hours later had the water tested at a pool store and they told me I'm at 4200ppm. I also have black algea growing in it and the pool store associate told me I needed to balance the water before adding algea killer to it.

My question is do I need to replace my salt cell (its 4 years old) or can it be fixed, and how do I fix the Aqua Rite to read properly? Thanks for your time reading this.

Mark

The cell may not need to be replaced. how many gallons is your pool that you added 160 lbs. of salt to increase it around 700 ppm? The problem with your black algae stemmed from having insufficient levels of "chlorine" (generated from your system) for an extended period of time. The best way to correct this issue, when your chlorinator is back online, is to use a course brush (metal), scrub/scrape the top layer off the algae, which is the protective layer, then set your chlorinator to "shock" or 100%. leave the system running overnight. This "superchlorinating" along with scraping the protective layer off the algae will kill the algae. There is no need for any other "algaecides". With proper filtration and sanitation, there is never any need for other chemicals as long as your proactive with your water balance!
bheffernan

Postby bheffernan » Sun 10 Oct, 2010 17:20

My Goldline salt system went from reading 3000 to 2800 to 1400 to 700 to 400 to 100 and then Zero in a day. I put a brand new cell in and I am still getting a Zero salt reading (3400 tested) and the Low Salt and Check cell lights are solid. Does anyone have any ideas. I did press the diagnostic button 5 times and reset it already.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Mon 11 Oct, 2010 21:30

bheffernan wrote:My Goldline salt system went from reading 3000 to 2800 to 1400 to 700 to 400 to 100 and then Zero in a day. I put a brand new cell in and I am still getting a Zero salt reading (3400 tested) and the Low Salt and Check cell lights are solid. Does anyone have any ideas. I did press the diagnostic button 5 times and reset it already.

Which T-Cell do you have, also, what software revision do you have on the system (will make a huge difference if you don't have a t-cell 15).
RW5207

Postby RW5207 » Sat 06 Aug, 2011 06:27

Pool User wrote:I have owned an Aquarite for eight years. When my chlorine level starts dropping and I know that I have enought salt, and the cell is clean; I know it is time to order a new cell. It will start out reading 3000, then the next week it will be 2700. Then the following week 2400. I will add 1 bag of salt, and if the salt reading does not come up I will clean the cell. If the reading still does not come up I will replace the cell. How old is your cell. I have gone through 4 in eight years. The first lasted 11 months. The second 1 year. The third, lasted 4 years. I live in the Dallas area and found that if I turn off the unit in the winter months (Dec - Feb) the cell seems to last longer. I think your cell has died and you need to replace it.

I also live in the Dallas area and don't seem to be able to get more than 2-3 years out of a salt cell. Is this a regional water thing, or are we both doing the same thing incorrectly? :) I hear of others whose cells are lasting 5 years.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 16 Aug, 2011 14:51

RW5207 wrote:
Pool User wrote:I have owned an Aquarite for eight years. When my chlorine level starts dropping and I know that I have enought salt, and the cell is clean; I know it is time to order a new cell. It will start out reading 3000, then the next week it will be 2700. Then the following week 2400. I will add 1 bag of salt, and if the salt reading does not come up I will clean the cell. If the reading still does not come up I will replace the cell. How old is your cell. I have gone through 4 in eight years. The first lasted 11 months. The second 1 year. The third, lasted 4 years. I live in the Dallas area and found that if I turn off the unit in the winter months (Dec - Feb) the cell seems to last longer. I think your cell has died and you need to replace it.

I also live in the Dallas area and don't seem to be able to get more than 2-3 years out of a salt cell. Is this a regional water thing, or are we both doing the same thing incorrectly? :) I hear of others whose cells are lasting 5 years.

A cell's life will not be the same for any two users. Cell's are rated for 10,000 "working" hours, meaning when the cell is physically producing chlorine. So if person A with a 15k gallon pool uses a 40K cell, and person B has a 25k gallon pool with the same cell, person A will have a better chance of replacing cells less often. Also, the higher your chlorine output setting, the more the cell will use up of its working hours. You cannot simply assume that because your cell lasted 2-3 years and another's lasted 5+ years, that you are doing something wrong, or that it was a defect. However, it is recommended that you go with a cell that is rated much higher than your pool's capacity or you will not be happy with the life you receive out of it.
dgoody

Postby dgoody » Mon 29 Aug, 2011 18:59

Ok so I have had my salt generator for 3 years, it went from 2700 to 0. I have cleaned it twice could my cell be done?
Drowninginthe$$$pool

Postby Drowninginthe$$$pool » Wed 31 Aug, 2011 12:17

The Guru Of Pools wrote:Pool clown there are several things to consider. First, and most importantly, in order for the Aqua Rite to check the salt level in the pool it has to be producing chlorine, however if the salt level is over 4000 ppm it will turn itself off and not make chlorine. So if you are trying to test the salt level you may get a zero reading because of the Catch 22. So follow these steps to check the salt level:

1-Turn the percentage to 100%.
2-Slide the switch to off if it is currently in the Auto position.
3-Slide the switch back to Auto.
4-Wait for the generating light to come on then press the diagnostic button until you reach the large negative number. You have to do this as soon as you see the generating light come on, if you dilly dally the unit will shut down once the salt reads over 4000ppm. This is your instant salt reading. If it is over 4000 ppm you will need to drain some water out of the pool.
5-If the number is 4000ppm or below then slide the switch from Auto to Super Chlorinate then back to Auto. This will reset the salt level to the new reading and allow the unit to make chlorine. If the level is above 4000ppm it will not make chlorine it will automatically stop the chlorine production and you will get a zero reading for the salt level.

Your cell may have failed. As the Hayward / Goldline cells fail they will give you a false low reading of the salt level in your pool. NEVER ADD SALT BASED ON THE READING OF YOUR SALT GENERATOR! Always take you water to a professional swimming pool store and have it tested. The store should be using a salt meter (it is the most accurate than test stips, assuming they have checked the calibration with a standard salt solution. Don't hesitate to ask them if it has recently, in the last week, been calibrated.) Add salt only based on their results. If you would like to purchase a salt meter they are available on the market and will sell for between $100 and $200 dollars for a small pocket unit. Make sure you purchase a calibration solution at the same time.

I hope this helps you understand what is going on.

The Guru of Pools at Discountpoolwarehouse.com

Further to a previous post by PTSinTX » Sun 16 Aug, 2009

Subsequent reply mentioned " SALT SENSOR"...

Where is this located?

Is this a discreet component that wears out with time i. waterflow erosion ???

If in the cell, can cleaning the "reset" sensor to operate properly?

Reason I am inquiring, is that my pool person, this morning, informed me " The salt generator sensor seems to
be malfunctioning. I tried to reset(?), but did NOT change. Call xyz for service"

Before I commit to further throwing $$$ into the money pit that pools ARE, I did some investigating on my own, as I wasn't present when pool person made the above assertion.

This is an Aqua Rite Standard (I guess as there are no additional letters etc.)
coupled with a T-15 cell.

(BTW-have had this system for many years with minimal issues)

FIRST TIME

When I open the control panel door the display showed/shows "62P'

Stepping through the diagnostic-the following indications were noted:

LED= Power ON: generating ON ( no other LED's on)

Press 1- -2800
2- AL- 4
3- r 1.33
4- 2900
5- 83
6- 25.7
7- 6.00
8- Return to top

Referred to manual to correlate data.
the best I gather is :

1= Salinity level
2= Product name sent to remote( in this case there is none)
3= Softwarte revision number
4= salt level (?)
5= Water Temperature
6= Cell voltage ( chlorine being generated)
7= Curren being drawn by cell ( 6 ampare I assume)
8- return to the top of "menu'.

I then discovered this forum and read various posts and went outside a

SECOND TIME to match some to of the details revealed in the posts and the diagnostic readings.

(I actully took photos so as not to second guess myself in the future)

Here's what I noted:
Display = 62P

Press 1- -0
2- AL- 4
3- r 1.33
4- 2900
5- 83
6- 31.6 **
7- 0.00 **
8- return to top of menu

Although stated in a previous reply, there seem to be a correlation between the " chlorine being generated #6=25.7 V ;#7=6.00 amps, and the presence or absence of reading @ #1.

So is it possible that my pool person is jumping the proverbial $$$$ gun. After all it's not their money-yes?

thanks for any and all replies.
erniek70
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: in ground, gunite, 25000 gallon salt water w/hayward aqua rite system,and T-15 cell

Postby erniek70 » Sun 20 May, 2012 18:10

bheffernan wrote:My Goldline salt system went from reading 3000 to 2800 to 1400 to 700 to 400 to 100 and then Zero in a day. I put a brand new cell in and I am still getting a Zero salt reading (3400 tested) and the Low Salt and Check cell lights are solid. Does anyone have any ideas. I did press the diagnostic button 5 times and reset it already.

I have the exact same problem:

I have a Hayward Aquarite chlorinator. My control panel recently has now displayed the "low salt", and check cell warning lights. I took in the cell to be tested, it passed, and my salt is 3000 ppm, so it is good too. What else could be wrong? The control panel? How can I diagnose my problem? I've tried the control panel reset (switch to off, switch to auto, cycle through diagnostic button 5 times, or so, until you see the negative value salt instant salt level, switch to super chlorinate, to reset, then switch back to auto). Works for about 30-60s, or so, then goes back to "low salt, check cell. sometimes shows display of 1500, sometimes 2100, sometimes it works fine too. Sometimes the aslt level is zero!!?? What can i do?

What is the solution?
tinalouise
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18000 gallons, pebble tec saltwater, Aqua rite goldline chorinator

Postby tinalouise » Sun 10 Jun, 2012 11:54

We have not been generating chlorine, for awhile, keeping pool clean with shock. Had cell checked, working fine, cleaned cell throughly as well. So we opened circuit panel, and current limiter (little black component size of a quarter) was cracked, replaced it.

All diagnostics are working except now there is no salt display reading at all. All other readings are there, and still no sign of any chlorine in pool. Always had a salt reading level before, always low around 2200.

Does anyone know why there would be no display reading of salt? I did reset the salt chlorinator switch, but all that came up is 3.50 , which doesn't even seem to be consistent with the #'s that you usually get for salt.
Mazda1949
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20X40 inground salt water pool

Postby Mazda1949 » Sat 11 Aug, 2012 11:32

Thanks Guru of Pools , I followed your info and was able to get my generator back up and running. It just seemed like it lost all its memory and needed a reset. I was begining to worry because it wouldn't read anything but zero before I followed your instructions. Once I got it to show the instant salt reading it started showing numbers other than zero . I had to do it several times before it gave me the true salt reading. It was below the 2400 the first couple of times and it kept increasing every time I did it and once it got above 2400 it started generating clorine. Then the numbers went back up to 3200 where they were supposed to be. Thanks Guru!!!!! (You da Man)

Re: Aqua Rite salt level reads zero

Postby 003 » Wed 20 Jul, 2016 11:27

how to trick a cell to read higher salt level than its reading, unit in auto mode, push diagnostic button till you get to the minus sign slide switch to super chlorinate as number counts down when it gets to salt level of 3000-3400 slide switch back up to super chlorinate then back to auto that will trick the cell and the level you slid to super chlorinate the second time will show on the main screen

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”