How to Choose a Salt Generator

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
JerKaz

Postby JerKaz » Thu 27 Aug, 2009 20:32

Hi, I recently bought a home with a pool and have been coming up to speed on the care and equipment. It was a forclosed property so the Chlorinator was, lets just say, hard to open up. It's broken now and I am considering switching to a Salt Generating System. The guy at the pool store (Pinch-a-Penny) wants to sell me a $800 system + $150 installation. My pool is approx. 10,000 gallons, I live in FL so i'm not sure what I have to do in the winter season (No solar heating). I have a friend that bought a $300 system (I think it's called a shark or something like that) that he is happy with. I dont know why there's such a large price difference between systems.

My questions are:

A) would you recommend a salt generating system over a clorinator. (cost not a factor)
B) what is the best brand quality for price (warranty important)
C) anything else I should know about making the switch. (things you wish someone would have told you).

Thanks,
-JerKaz

Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 10:57

If cost truely isn't a factor then post a complete test on your tap/fill water. Is the pool going to be covered? Heavy or minimal use? Lots of sun hitting it? Year round use? Indoor/outdoor?
JerKaz

Postby JerKaz » Fri 28 Aug, 2009 16:59

Pool is not covered. It's outdoor. Hits sun all day (south facing pool in Florida) Used moderately 8 months out of the year. Not used in the winter. I dont have the test results right now. I just have them done for free at the pool shop and they tell me what to put in.
Me...
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Me... » Sat 29 Aug, 2009 09:20

One of the factors to consider when deciding on what chemicals to use is what you are filling your pool with. The chemical levels of your fill water will tend to draw your chemistry a certain way and its useful to know.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”