ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
suz155
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Salt, hayward equpment

Chlorine Allergy-Tests confirmed-help

Postby suz155 » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 11:44

Hi,

I've been pool owner for the last 12 years. 11 of those years in a regular chlorine generated pool. The last year a salt chlorine generating system. Over the past 3 years, I have gone from occasional hives on my ankles, to hives over arms, legs, hands. Recently I've started to sneeze. Early on, I just basically ignored, I can't anymore. The pool water is perfectly balanced, clear and Ive tested at home and had tested through two different pool stores. Water is good. And I have gone into other peoples pools, its even worse.

Guys, I love swimming and I really don't want to give it up. Is there a system out there, that does not use chlorine or bromine (also tested positive for that) that works? and isn't going to cost me a whole lot of money?

I live in Houston, so the pool will be utilized for at least 7 months.

Thanks for your help.
Suz

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 13:10

If you are truly allergic to chlorine and bromine at even low levels, then the only other EPA-approved sanitizer for swimming pools is Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB and this is more expensive. It also requires more effort to avoid white water mold which can develop after a few years. Beyond that, you can increase your level of risk by using the variety of "alternative" systems that don't use an EPA-approved sanitizer such as pure (i.e. no added chlorine) ionization (copper/silver) systems though you have to be careful about staining. There is still a need for oxidation so you'll have to either use non-chlorine shock or an ozone system or some combination. Such systems are not allowed (without chlorine) in commercial/public pools, but there are no regulations beyond labeling with regard to residential pools. You could swim in raw sewage as far as the government is concerned -- it's your pool.
suz155
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby suz155 » Sat 05 Sep, 2009 13:34

Hi,

That's pretty much what I was afraid you were going to say. I've always been very careful with chlorine, keeping it usually at 1.5, I may try bringing the chlorine level to .5 and see if that does it. I haven't researched that low of a level of chlorine, is it a fairly safe level? Its usually just my husband and myself swimming with occasional guests. But the allergist is pretty sure that won't work, she thinks even small amounts of chlorine will set off the reaction. Bromine, not quite as bad.

Can I turn down the Salt water system to generate just a .5 level and start dosing with Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB as a backup? Or if that isn't sufficient , can I turn the system off and just add Baquacil ?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
Suz
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 06 Sep, 2009 01:59

Baquacil is incompatible with chlorine so you can't mix the two. Unfortunately, it does look like you may need to go the Baqua route. It can be manageable and some people like the system, though many get frustrated with it. One key is to use enough oxidizer (hydrogen peroxide) and to use a system flush product every few years.
suz155
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby suz155 » Mon 07 Sep, 2009 21:47

Hi,

Thank you.

Suz

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”