Intex 8110 Chlorine Generator Ground Fault

SWGs, salt water chlorine generators, chlorinators,
ozone generators, UV systems, . . .
doclobster

Postby doclobster » Mon 26 Jul, 2010 06:26

My 8110 is causing a ground fault but runs fine on a regular outlet. Is it dangerous for me to run this unit overnight when no one is in the pool and unplug it during the day? I know no one will be electrocuted but will the house burn down?

What if I forgot to unplug it? What is the potential danger? These GFI's are sensitive to about 5 milliamps leakage. Is this enough to cause harm?

Thanks

floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 06 Aug, 2010 16:57

doclobster wrote:My 8110 is causing a ground fault but runs fine on a regular outlet. Is it dangerous for me to run this unit overnight when no one is in the pool and unplug it during the day? I know no one will be electrocuted but will the house burn down?

What if I forgot to unplug it? What is the potential danger? These GFI's are sensitive to about 5 milliamps leakage. Is this enough to cause harm?

Thanks

It is possible that the only reason it is tripping the GFCI is because it's drawing more than the fault breaker is allowing it to. While this may be ok temporarily, it may be a good ideal to have it serviced to find out why this is happening. If the problem gets too bad, it will most likely just trip the breaker at the main box, so you probably don't have anything too much to worry about. (though i'm no electrician). There are a few CPC members on here hopefully they can answer this a little better for you.
doclobster

Postby doclobster » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 19:34

I know the problem is in the transformer as it will still trip the GFI when it is disconnected from the rest of the unit. It strikes me that this part is likely not serviceable and I have noticed several people looking for one around here... I've been doing the night run thing for a couple weeks now and everything seems smooth enough until this point...
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

Postby floridapooltech » Tue 10 Aug, 2010 19:45

How old is this unit? If something is wrong with it, you may want to look into replacing it with a system that will not be discontinued such as the Hayward Goldline controls.

Return to “Salt Water Chlorine Generators, Ozone, UV”