Chlorine lock - what to do?

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
meers_l

Chlorine lock - what to do?

Postby meers_l » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 13:31

Hi, I need some help understanding what to do with my pool water. We opened it about a week ago and I've done nothing but work on trying to get it balanced. It's now clear; for the moment. I do have a solid auto cover and don't know if I should have it open or closed. To make matters worse, it's HOT in Ohio (84 degrees today with SUN).

Background: about a 27K gallon pool. Water was kind of cloudy when we opened and did all the kits/chemicals we were supposed to do. I have what the pool store is calling a chlorine lock in place. My total chlorine is around 4 or 5 but zero free chlorine. My CYA levels are very low now. The CYA was super high at the end of last year but since the pool store been telling me all kinds of things and dumping shock into my pool at very high amounts with NO effect, I'm now lost. I just got done dumping about 1/3 of the water out and refilling it based on their advice. Yesterday we did a Phosphate test that read about 500 or a little higher so I added the correct amount of Phosphate remover. I've vacuumed it twice.

I've read on this forum that maybe I should shock it with Bleach (poolcalulator.com say I need about 3 jugs of 6%) to the CC of 5. What I don't know and need help is since the CYA is so low, will the bleach do anything???? I'm reading conflicting things. I also bought a bunch of Turbo Shock (Cal Hypo 78%) so I have that if I should use it.

Someone please help me understand what to do to get some Free Chlorine in this water. I'm not sure my pool store knows what to do. Thanks!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Chlorine lock - what to do?

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 06:22

Hi
First of all stop going to the pool store (they are there to sell)
Second get a decent test kit (Taylor K2006c or TF100) pool stores and strips are widely inaccurate
The fact that you have no free chlorine means you have loads of combined chlorine and need to Slam (shock level and maintain) as described in these links which will tell you where you are going wrong
Pool School
Slam
Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool Levels
Pool Maths
Deep Clean
Phosphates aren't to much of a problem but following the above advice will help you keep your pool clean and clear with not a lot of expense
diddlyD

Postby diddlyD » Wed 16 Aug, 2017 20:17

I just ran across this pool chemical sold on Ebay and Amazon which is suppose to reduce CYA levels that states it came to the market for the public in 2015. Is anyone familiar with it?

16oz Pkg COMMERCIAL STRENGTH Bio-Active Cyanuric Acid Reducer for over 100ppmCYA
Bio-Active Products, Inc.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 18 Aug, 2017 17:03

You can try it but we don't have much faith in these type of products
CYA does decrease slowly but the only way to be sure is to drain and refill

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”