PHOSfree - Not Working...What did I do wrong?

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
joesc230
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: In-ground 47'x25' free-form gunite pool w/ spa w/ waterfall. 35,380 gallons. 3' to 8' deep. 96 sq ft 6" deep sun shelf. SunStone Select Quartz Finish (Graphite). 2 Hayward skimmers. Jandy DEV60 DE Filter + Pro Series Plus 2HP Pump. Polaris PB4-60 Pressure Cleaner Booster Pump. Raypack P-R406A Heater. EasyTouch 8. IntelliChem w/ Acid Tank. IntelliChlor IC60. Techo-Bloc bullnose coping + Blu 60 mm paver patio. Merlin SmartMesh cover. TF-100.

PHOSfree - Not Working...What did I do wrong?

Postby joesc230 » Sun 22 Oct, 2017 17:51

Hi all,

I am closing my pool for the first time on my own (used a couple different companies in the past, both which I wasn't happy with, so I decided to do it on my own) and while prepping the pool, I decided to remove some metal stains that in my deep section and have been annoying me all year. I haven't had the time to take care of them until now.

To get rid of the metal stains, I bought STAINfree (and am planning to use METALfree, followed by a Culator to remove the metal from the water). I noticed that STAINfree recommends the water having 100ppb or lower of phosphates, so I measured the phosphate level and found that it was 300. I then bought Pool Magic Spring & Fall PHOSfree and added around 1.7 liters of it (as my pool is around 34,000 gallons and it says that 1 liter removes 300ppb of phosphates from 20,000 gallons.

It's been a few days and the phosphate level is still reading around 300. I have a waterfall going down from my spa to my pool, and the water is forming bubbles (not the typical bubbling that would happen from the water impact). It's definitely related to the PHOSfree, as the pool never did that prior. I made sure that the water was balanced prior to adding the PHOSfree. I backwashed the filter the day before, and after adding the PHOSfree the pressure has only gone up a little (nowhere near the level that would indicate a backwash being needed).

My questions are:

- Does anyone have any ideas as to why the phosphate level didn't drop?
- Is the bubbling normal after application of PHOSfree, or does it indicate something's wrong?

Thanks so much for any info!

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: PHOSfree - Not Working...What did I do wrong?

Postby Teapot » Mon 23 Oct, 2017 05:01

I would phone the company and hear information from the horses mouth. Phosphate lowering compounds (Lanthanum chloride) often cause clouding of the water for a while but not foaming in my experience. Propriety formulations may vary so back to the company for advice.

Most important is find the source of the metals (which metal?) and sort out that issue. sequestrants are only a temporary measure as chlorine breaks them down using more chlorine and buying more sequestrant etc etc.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”