Issue with CYA

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Sweetk8227
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I ground 8100 gallon. 3ft at shallow end and 6 foot at deep. Rectangular. Hayward S244T filter system with automatic tablet feeder. Purchased the home with these so I don’t know much more about it

Issue with CYA

Postby Sweetk8227 » Mon 10 Jun, 2019 19:56

We have a CYA issue. We’ve drained 1 foot before and refilled, and have drained almost a foot and a half and refilled. CYA levels were about 110 and are now 90. Pool pH has been 7.3-7.5; alkalinity about 80-90; calcium has been difficult to raise (has been 120-140); and chlorine has been consistently over 5.0. We have an automatic chlorine feeder that has been difficult to really reign in. It takes tablets and I’ve tried to avoid trichlor. We purchased sodium hypochlorite and was wondering if I can add it in while refilling the pool. I’ve had above ground pools most of my life and have never had an issue with cloudiness and green. Our robot kicks up a ton of green when vacuuming so I’m planning on manually vacuuming this weekend which would also hopefully dilute the pool even more.

Can we add the sodium hypochlorite while refilling? I’ve never used liquid before (I’ve always used floaters in the above ground). I just can’t seem to get the CYA level to decrease! HELP!!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Issue with CYA

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 03:02

Sweetk8227 wrote:We have a CYA issue. We’ve drained 1 foot before and refilled, and have drained almost a foot and a half and refilled. CYA levels were about 110 and are now 90. Pool pH has been 7.3-7.5; alkalinity about 80-90; calcium has been difficult to raise (has been 120-140); and chlorine has been consistently over 5.0. We have an automatic chlorine feeder that has been difficult to really reign in. It takes tablets and I’ve tried to avoid trichlor. We purchased sodium hypochlorite and was wondering if I can add it in while refilling the pool. I’ve had above ground pools most of my life and have never had an issue with cloudiness and green. Our robot kicks up a ton of green when vacuuming so I’m planning on manually vacuuming this weekend which would also hopefully dilute the pool even more.

Can we add the sodium hypochlorite while refilling? I’ve never used liquid before (I’ve always used floaters in the above ground). I just can’t seem to get the CYA level to decrease! HELP!!

As you are doing drain/refill is the only way to lower CYA. With a CYA of 90 you would need to drain about 50% to get it down to 45
You can put the sodium hypochlorite in at any time but if you are draining and refilling you will be wasting it
You don't have to worry about calcium in an AGP liner
The chlorine feeder is good for when you are away and can't manually dose
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm

When manually vacuuming do it to waste so you don't clog your filter being carefull not to let your water level run to low
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 06:37

If you keep your chlorine around 10ppm you'll be able keep running without draining now. If you use sodium hypochlorite liquid you'll gradually reduce the CYA a bit but you will have to keep up the chlorine above 10ppm
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 07:09

Teapot wrote:If you keep your chlorine around 10ppm you'll be able keep running without draining now. If you use sodium hypochlorite liquid you'll gradually reduce the CYA a bit but you will have to keep up the chlorine above 10ppm

With a CYA 90 you need a minimum of 7 and a target of 10-12 with a shock level of 35 as indicated in Chlorine / CYA Chart
It would be easier to drain/refill now
Sweetk8227
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I ground 8100 gallon. 3ft at shallow end and 6 foot at deep. Rectangular. Hayward S244T filter system with automatic tablet feeder. Purchased the home with these so I don’t know much more about it

Postby Sweetk8227 » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 07:55

Denniswiseman wrote:
Teapot wrote:If you keep your chlorine around 10ppm you'll be able keep running without draining now. If you use sodium hypochlorite liquid you'll gradually reduce the CYA a bit but you will have to keep up the chlorine above 10ppm

With a CYA 90 you need a minimum of 7 and a target of 10-12 with a shock level of 35 as indicated in Chlorine / CYA Chart
It would be easier to drain/refill now

Thanks! We have drained it really 3 times. First time was only about 6 inches as we were worried about flooding out our neighbor, LOL. Second time was about a foot, and last night was about 16 inches. Our shallow end is "3 feet" but don't want to lower the water too much because of our liner. Each time we drain and refill from the hose, the CYA lowers a bit. Are we going to have to drain/refill until the levels drop enough? New to having an inground pool. Never had any of these issues with an above ground.

Thanks!
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 08:30

The issues are still there but different
Yes to get the CYA to a more manageable amount you will have to drain/refill, albiet if you can cope with the high demand of chlorine CYA diminishes over time providing you don't use Trichlor/Dichlor
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 14:03

Unfortunately you haven't drained it 3 times. You have merely diluted it 3 times and that is not the same thing as you have been ditching the good clean water at the same time.
The liner will not move until the last 3 inches of water are left so you can safely drain half.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”