General Pool Chemical Alternatives, and Maintenance for Temporary Pool

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Charlie Woods
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Indoor above Ground, 17' x 20' x 24" deep. Cartridge Filter pump 1500gph. Pool will be used for an Theatre production of Mary Zimmermans " Metamorphoses". Pool will be in use for 4 weeks.

General Pool Chemical Alternatives, and Maintenance for Temporary Pool

Postby Charlie Woods » Mon 05 Aug, 2019 14:09

Thank you in advance for any Information and suggestions this group provides!!

Our Theatre Group will be producing, Mary Zimmerman's " Metamorphoses", which requires a shallow pool that actors will be in and out of during the play. The pool will be a custom built 17'w x 20'L x 18" deep above ground hard framed type. A 1500GPH cartridge filter pump will be used to filter the water. It will be built in our Indoor Black Box Theatre and be used for exactly 4 weeks. My questions are the following:
1. What alternative ( to chlorine use) pool chemical Sanitizers/Cleaners would work best to keep the pool clean/sanitized, odors low to not affect the Performers and perspective Audience and to keep the chance of skin irritation of the performers low? ( I have heard that Bromine and Bio Enzymes have been used for indoor pools.)
2. Procedure for using these alternative chemicals, including how to test the water for required safety levels, Testing equipment how much chemical to use when treating our size pool?
3. How much chemical will I need to purchase to clean/sanitize a pool of our size for 4 weeks?
4. Any other Suggestions, Tips, recommendations you have to make the pool work better, be safer for our audience and actors, easier to maintain.

Thank you again for your help.

Charlie Woods

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: General Pool Chemical Alternatives, and Maintenance for Temporary Pool

Postby Teapot » Wed 07 Aug, 2019 01:32

Charlie hi,
I would definitely not use bromine, it's more carcinogenic to humans and smells worse than chlorine!
Chlorine is given bad press but it's still the best. I would recommend using a UV lamp treatment and low level of un stabilised chlorine 0.2-0.5ppm that level is close to drinking water tap levels. The traditional smell of a chlorine pool is due to the chlorine being changed into chloramines, fresh Chlorine has little smell, only when it reacts with sweat etc does the classic smell occur. UV light breaks down the chloramines so stopping the smell.
Other alternatives do not work as well but if the miss informed theatre board insist the hydrogen peroxide with nano silver as a stabiliser could work, personally as it's indoors I would still use a UV steriliser as well.
Decent test kits are Taylor or LaMotte and definitely NOT dip strips.
I also work in one of the world's most famous theatres!
Charlie Woods
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Indoor above Ground, 17' x 20' x 24" deep. Cartridge Filter pump 1500gph. Pool will be used for an Theatre production of Mary Zimmermans " Metamorphoses". Pool will be in use for 4 weeks.

Postby Charlie Woods » Wed 14 Aug, 2019 16:06

Teapot:
Thank you for the information. I was not aware that Bromine was more carcinogenic and had a higher chemical smell; good to know! I have heard the UV lamp treatment works well but they are expensive and usually made for commercial pools. Are there companies that make reasonably priced units for residential pools ( how I classify our pool)? Is the UV system installed inside/above the pool or inline after the Filter Pump? Any suggestions on what/where to buy this type of system?
If by " One of the worlds most famous Theatres " you reference the stage home of the Great Bard, then I am envious!! Thank you again for your reply and information:-)
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 14:44

Hi Charlie,
There are domestic UV systems, not sure of your location or suppliers but Blue lagoon for example.
https://bluelagoonuvc.com/portfolio-item/uv-c-tech/
A google should bring more suppliers and a minimum of 55w, preferably 75w or above and a longer chamber give a longer contact time for the dose of UV. don't leave out pond suppliers either so long as the wattage is sufficient and in the case of pond versions plumbing size.
As you are using this in a theatre will noise be an issue? Conventional pool pumps can be noisy, by contrast my low energy pool is around 29-34db at 6ft. so I can guide you in low energy and low noise setups.
Yes the great Bard!
Charlie Woods
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Charlie Woods » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 14:57

Teapot:
Sorry for replying late. I did find a 50 watt UV filter ( 18" long UV Tube) that fit our budget, thank you for the link. The Pump will be isolated under several platforms that are sitting on the pool edge and pump/filter will be placed in an insulated cover ( lined with 2" thick Homosote) to cut down on any noise. Part of the return from the pump will feed a small water fall that runs back into the pool so that will help cover any noise that escapes the insulated cover. I am more concerned with any water leakage from the pool/pump and have placed water detector units by the pump and around the poolsides. If they detect moisture I will get an Alarm to my phone. The pump will be on a timer and will run 12 hours on, 3 off. I have everything on hand ( except the 45 mil pond liner) which will be here within the next 2-3 days. Thank you again for taking time to answer my questions. I will post some Pictures of the finished set-up and full set when we are done. Thanks again!!
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Tue 03 Sep, 2019 15:52

Good luck, yes love to see the finished product. Just make sure the pump has an airway to keep it cool.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”