algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
AndyMar
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20000 gal, vinyl

White cloud from Calcium Hypochlorite??

Postby AndyMar » Wed 28 Aug, 2019 16:10

Can someone please tell me what is the whitish cloud that comes out of the returns when I add Calcium Hypochlorite to my skimmer. I have a sand filter. This cloud, which I suspect may be calcium, eventually settles on the floor of the pool. Also I am having a hard time keeping chlorine levels in the water. Could it be that my calcium hardness is too low and the water is stealing it from the added shock. This white powder blows out of my filter upon every startup. I have back washed but problem persists.

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: White cloud from Calcium Hypochlorite??

Postby Teapot » Thu 29 Aug, 2019 00:36

We need accurate water figures before speaking about water.
Yes most likely it is calcium. Why are you using cal hypo rather than sodium hypo (bleach)?

No low hardness is not normally anything to do with chlorine loss but not having cyanuric acid stabiliser in the certainly is. Cal hypo does not contain stabiliser.
AndyMar
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 20000 gal, vinyl

Postby AndyMar » Thu 29 Aug, 2019 16:12

pH- 8.0
Ca. 350
Alk. 70
CYA- well over 125
I've been using cal. hyp. to shock once a week at 1 lb. per 10000 gal. I am using tri-chlor tablets in chlorinator which doesn't seem to be taking the tabs. They will however dissolve in the skimmer basket. Chlorine levels are all zero.
Adding cal. hyp. to a bucket of pool water clouds up almost immediately.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 30 Aug, 2019 03:08

Your high CYA causes your chlorine to be ineffective
You will have to do partial drain and refills to get it down to a more manageable level as indicated in Chlorine / CYA Chart
Stop using the Trichlor and use liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach) to chlorinate
Your pH is to high use acid to reduce it (it will lower TA as well but you can add bicarbonate of soda to raise that back up
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA
Tylerkax
I'm new here
I'm new here

White cloud from Calcium Hypochlorite

Postby Tylerkax » Fri 22 May, 2020 02:34

Every time I ride my SMT I get a white residue on the right hand side of the swinging arm that comes from the cable guide for the rear brake hose & ABS cable. I appears like a dried white liquid has run along the swinging arm and dried. I also get it coming from the rubber plug cover for shock absorber lower mount bolt on the left side ? I suspect there is water inside the swinging arm getting shaken around & coming out from the various mounting holes.

Anyone else got this - any ideas how to stop it please ?

Thanks

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”