Commercial Pool Supply Store Always Trying to Upsell

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
bisel
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Pool size is approximately 17,000 gallons. Deepest point is 6 feet in center and about 3 feet around the edges. I have a fairly large capacity cartridge style filter system and a 1.5HP variable speed pump. The finish on the pool is pebble tec.

Commercial Pool Supply Store Always Trying to Upsell

Postby bisel » Tue 26 Apr, 2022 13:16

Having our pool refinished after 26 years of use and all work is done.

Starting up pool equipment with fresh water and working now to get the chemistry in balance. Looking for comments on what I am doing ...

First, I added HCL acid to lower the pH. Our water here is pretty hard. Getting it down to 7.2 to 7.4.

Added 3 bags of pool shock. Now waiting for that dissolve and stabilize. Tomorrow will recheck pH and CL levels.

After that is done, plan to add 2 to 3 lbs of cyanuric acid to stabilize the CL. Will check the level of the cyanuric acid end of the week to see how that is going.

Any comments on this process.

I know lots of people fret about total alkalinity and such, but I have never concerned myself with that in the past as our water is so hard here in Phoenix, AZ area that there is damn all one can do about it.

I would like to hear comments about my experience of going to Leslie's Pool Supply here. I compared prices of cyanuric acid at Home Depot and Leslie's Pool Supply and as I expected Leslie's is about 35% higher price. I asked the clerk what the price was and once quoted the price told him I was on my to Home Depot where it is much less costly. The clerk open up his hymnal and started chanting his mantra that the chemicals at Home Depot are substandard and full of fillers and that they would cause problems in my water. Such B.S. I purchased 5 lbs. of cyanuric acid at Home Depot and the ingredients on the bag say ... "Cyanuric Acid" Over the years here I have come to expect the Leslie's Pool Supply is always trying to up sell chemicals at inflated prices. Their HCL acid, pool shock, CL tablets, algicide, etc. are easily 30% to 35% more than Home Depot and in my case for CL tabs, Costco. I have mentioned this to the store staff at Leslie's and always receive their standard bull crap line about their chemicals are pure and much more effective. Any body here want to defend Leslie's?

Best regards,

Steve

Teapot1
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12000 gallons vinyl liner,

Re: Commercial Pool Supply Store Always Trying to Upsell

Postby Teapot1 » Thu 28 Apr, 2022 15:21

No, never used them but heard thousands of complaints.
Hard water, nothing you can do about it? Thats not completely right. Soften it using ion exchange resin Zeolite. I would switch to a better media later but having that and keeping hold of the softened water would help. NB will not work for salt chlorination pools.
I may not give you the answer you want to hear, but I will give an honest opinion of your situation as you decribe it.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”