Chlorox alternitive

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
indoorairpro
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24 ft round above ground , sand filter, 1.5 hp pump- cursed from the day it was installed

Chlorox alternitive

Postby indoorairpro » Mon 30 May, 2011 14:32

Since I may need to get rid of pool if i dont find less expensive alternitive to gallons of chlorine and weekly shocking , how do I lear the method others are using with store purchased chlorox. I have read a few posts but I am no chemist and get lost fairly quickly. They also talk about adding other stuff so chlorox will work and dont have a clue where to get these other chems. Is there a step by step printed somewhere?
currently pool is drak green with larg frog population and large amount of leaves etc in bottom, Cover caved in mid winter. Found about a foot of water in it in jan and cover shredded. Filled using discharge from sump pump as we had a freakishly warm winter storm about the same time. Water held so no leak. No idea where it went in first place. HeardI can use chlorox to shock is that true again need a simple guide to the chlorox process thanks
24 ft round above ground sand filter 1.5 hp pump cursed by the gods

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Chlorox alternitive

Postby chem geek » Tue 31 May, 2011 00:08

Did you read the Pool School? There is no need for weekly shocking if you are properly maintaining the pool with the appropriate Free Chlorine (FC) level for your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. Read the article on Defeating Algae and be sure to get yourself a proper test kit -- either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100 with the latter kit having more volume of reagents you use the most.
Analyst

Chlorox alternitive

Postby Analyst » Mon 16 Jan, 2012 11:53

Have read a lot on CYAs and Chlorine. But I feel pool owners should seriously consider Chlorine Dioxide as a safe alternative. More stronger and takes care of many problems of Water.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Chlorox alternitive

Postby chem geek » Mon 16 Jan, 2012 19:44

Chlorine dioxide is not approved by the EPA for disinfection of swimming pools or spas. This is at least in part due to the fact that at typical pool pH around half of the chlorine dioxide consumed by oxidation reactions (i.e. reacting with bather waste) results in chlorite (the rest is mostly chloride) and chlorite is a regulated chemical in drinking water with a limit of 1.0 mg/L. Chlorite can be readily converted to chlorate by adding chlorine, but this is a tricky balance to achieve unless one has good process control as is done in drinking water treatment. Using a combination of chlorine dioxide and chlorine might be reasonable, but not chlorine dioxide alone. Also, chlorine dioxide is unstable and breaks down when exposed to UV in sunlight, but is not protected (much) by CYA. So if used at all, it would only be for indoor or covered pools or spas.
Dolphinkick
I'm new here
I'm new here

Chlorox alternitive

Postby Dolphinkick » Fri 24 Aug, 2012 01:36

It seems like chlorine dioxide works better than chlorine. Do you know why it is not approved by EPA for use in swimming pools? Is there any country that uses chlorine dioxide instead of chlorine?
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Chlorox alternitive

Postby chem geek » Sat 25 Aug, 2012 01:29

I already gave the primary reasons regarding chlorite and breakdown from sunlight. Chlorine dioxide is not more effective than chlorine as an oxidizer, but it is generally effective as a disinfectant and it inactivates the protozoan oocyst Cryptosporidium parvum which chlorine essentially does not (at least not quickly enough at normal pool concentrations or when CYA is present). Its main advantage is that it does not produce as many chlorinated disinfection by-products. It generally needs to be generated on-site since it is otherwise unstable in concentrated solutions. In the U.S. it is mostly used as an alternative disinfectant in water treatment and you can find it in Katadyn® Micropur® MP1 Purification Tablets used for purifying water when camping. The tablets are Dichlor and sodium chlorite which when combined in water produce chlorine dioxide. As for other countries using it, it is used in some pools in Europe, but it is not part of the DIN 19643 standard which specifies only chlorine.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”