Paging CHEMGEEK, pick up the white courtesy phone

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Wed 28 Aug, 2013 19:51

ChemGeek, got a scenario question for you, it's an advanced one.

Background-
My company has a client on chemical service only, that is interesting guy, he's 90 years old(yes and still kicking!), services his own pool. But he's very intelligent. He's an engineer by trade, responsible for designing most of California's reservoirs and dams over the last several decades. And he's still sharp as a tack, we can't tell him anything, but only pass along info as a suggestion.

Problem he solved-
His (1960's in ground pool, re-surfaced with fiberglass) pool developed black algae one week. Now, in the pool service industry we have all sorts of black algae treatments, liquids, powders to treat this condition. This is what he used: He goes to the hardware store and in the plumbing section, buys a bottle of Root Killer in the blue flakey powder form. Puts it in the pool and the black algae is wiped clean! With no adverse effects to the pool chemistry or surface.
( http://www.roebic.com/root-killers.shtml )

Huh??? :?:

My question to you is, though I realize this is most likely a higher concentration of copper sulphate additive, what do you estimate would be the correct dilution mixture for a set gallon size of pool? Too much can stain and not enough will be ineffective. Ponder this one. I'll be checking back.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Wed 28 Aug, 2013 20:57

According to this MSDS, it's just 99.0% copper sulfate pentahydrate. As shown here one bottle is 2 pounds which is 2*63.546/249.70 = 0.51 pounds of copper so in 18,000 gallons this would be 3.4 mg/L (ppm) which is a high level of copper that can cause staining. I would not recommend this approach for plaster pools. For fiberglass, I think it's still risky and then there's the issue of turning blond hair greenish.
TSH Tech

Postby TSH Tech » Thu 29 Aug, 2013 00:59

Awesome. Ok, that makes a little more sense now AND to be careful around our Swedish, Icelandic and Norwegian clients.
:wink:

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”