CYA above 70 with 0 stabilizer??

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Skipacrosswater

CYA above 70 with 0 stabilizer??

Postby Skipacrosswater » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 11:35

I have an inground gunite 28,000 gallon pool in a kidney bean shape... why the shape of the pool matters, I have no idea... but some jackoff will ask if I do not include it.

I have used the test strips on a daily basis and then once a week I use a Taylor test kit. The test strips show a "0" for stabilizer, total chlorine about 3 to 5 and free chlorine of 0. The taylor test kit shows CYA at 70 and both chlorine's at 0. I have shocked the pool, drained water and added fresh to lower CYA and then because nothing has worked and the test strips show a 0 for stabilizer... I added a gallon of Cyanuric this morning to see if that will bring up my stabilizer level!! One test says it is high and the other says it is low!!! I felt like the taylor kit saying it was above 70 was accurate but with chlorine levels of 0 it makes me question that. The test strip I use shows the CYA to be 0 and the chlorine to be 0 and that is how the water seems to be as I can not rid the pool of algae!! So, I added the Cyanuric this morning. One gallon will bring up a 10,000 gallon pool by 30 PPM. I have a 28,000 gallon pool so I thought if I only add the 1 gallon I should come up by about 15. I will check it in a few days and see if it in fact does come up based on the test strip. And I will compare that to what the taylor test kit shows me. I do not understand this CYA at all... especially when I use 2 test methods and each one shows me at the opposite end of the spectrum!! Does anyone have any "logical" input??

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: CYA above 70 with 0 stabilizer??

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 12:12

If you check out http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels it will show that Cyanuric at 70 is high
You should navigate to the pool school on the same page and read through it to get a better understanding of pool chemistry
The test strips could be a guide but the Taylor test kit will be more accurate, that is if you are doing it correctly

Don't play around with the Cyanuric acid as the only way to reduce it is to drain off some of the water
You don't want it to high because you will use more chlorine

How do you chlorinate the pool, liquid chlorine, Cal hypochlorite, or stabilised chlorine pucks
Skipacrosswater

Postby Skipacrosswater » Sat 09 Jul, 2016 12:39

I use tablets primarily. I have a tower that is in parallel with my sand filter. But when my levels get real low, I add liquid chlorine. I have already drained some water out on 2 occasions to lower CYA. I just do not understand why I am showing a 70 to 80 ppm for CYA on the taylor kit and the strips show a 0 for stabilizer... and the conditions of my pool are kind of dictating that my stabilizer is very low in the fact that my total chlorine is approximately 3 to 5 and my free chlorine is 0... that was from a test i just did this morning after my original posting.

According to what I am reading on the pool advice sites, they all say to add Cyanuric Acid and I think that is the wrong move to make. I found another post that said to add a bag of baking soda even though my alkalinity is in range. So I went out and added a bag to my skimmer... immediately and I mean IMMEDIATELY, I could smell the chlorine in the water as the baking soda went through my sand filter and circulated back into the pool!! I am going to let it circulate for about an hour and test it again. Prior to adding the baking soda my alkalinity was at 90. I am going to shoot for 120 and see where my chlorine comes in at. I will let the CYA alone for now... understanding that I will have to add more chlorine, and over the next few weeks I will drain a couple times and add fresh. I am new to this in ground pool stuff so I am learning. But it really hasn't been to bad, until this algae started coming back repeatedly. Hopefully bringing the alkalinity up will do the trick.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 10 Jul, 2016 03:09

Have you read the part about Slamming in the Pool school http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl
The stabilised chlorine pucks add Cyanuric Acid to the pool water
You would be better of using this method http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/129-how-to-lower-lowering-total-alkalinity with liquid chlorine to maintain correct balance

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”