Cloudy water of course.

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Suli

Cloudy water of course.

Postby Suli » Thu 10 Aug, 2006 01:43

A few weeks ago I brought a 18 ft Intex above ground pool. I have learned that my chlorine levels are not stable. In the mornings, the ph is 7.2, total alk between 100-120, total hardiness at 200. free chlorine at 10 and low cyuranic acid, By noon by noon, ph will go up to 7.8, free chlorine to 0, total hadiness below 200 and 0 cyuranic acid. I vacumm it about 2-3 times a week, clean the filter daily and change it when soiled. I have used algecides and clarifiers as directed. I will lower the ph as needed before I do anything else to the pool. I tried covering it to keep the free chlorine from dropping. The only time the water cleared was during heavy rainstorms for about 5 days with the pool covered and was not safe to run the pump. When the water was clear I, noticed was there was fussy grayish contents on parts of the pool floor.. I shocked it that night and vacumed it the next day. The moment I started to vacumm , the pool became cloudy. I would clean and replace the filter and would backwash the pump. The filter was chalky and grayish. The cloudiness has not gone away since. I have shocked it twice, with the clorine levals staying at 10 for the past 2 days since it has been covered. I put on the cover but noticed it looked cloudier and the water was really warm. I live in above 100 degree weather. I have tested the water and the ph rises to 7.8, total alkalinity 120-180, free chlorine is 10, total hardiness at 200 and cyuranic acid is low. I removed the cover and added ph minus to lower the ph. I have read about stablizers and trichlor or bichlor granules. Which one should I use? How do I get started.? Looks like covering it is not a good idea since the water feels very warm and seems to make it worse. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated it before I throw in the towel.

bwv772

Re: Cloudy water of course.

Postby bwv772 » Thu 10 Aug, 2006 13:07

Suli wrote:A few weeks ago I brought a 18 ft Intex above ground pool. I have learned that my chlorine levels are not stable. In the mornings, the ph is 7.2, total alk between 100-120, total hardiness at 200. free chlorine at 10 and low cyuranic acid, By noon by noon, ph will go up to 7.8, free chlorine to 0, total hadiness below 200 and 0 cyuranic acid. I vacumm it about 2-3 times a week, clean the filter daily and change it when soiled. I have used algecides and clarifiers as directed. I will lower the ph as needed before I do anything else to the pool. I tried covering it to keep the free chlorine from dropping. The only time the water cleared was during heavy rainstorms for about 5 days with the pool covered and was not safe to run the pump. When the water was clear I, noticed was there was fussy grayish contents on parts of the pool floor.. I shocked it that night and vacumed it the next day. The moment I started to vacumm , the pool became cloudy. I would clean and replace the filter and would backwash the pump. The filter was chalky and grayish. The cloudiness has not gone away since. I have shocked it twice, with the clorine levals staying at 10 for the past 2 days since it has been covered. I put on the cover but noticed it looked cloudier and the water was really warm. I live in above 100 degree weather. I have tested the water and the ph rises to 7.8, total alkalinity 120-180, free chlorine is 10, total hardiness at 200 and cyuranic acid is low. I removed the cover and added ph minus to lower the ph. I have read about stablizers and trichlor or bichlor granules. Which one should I use? How do I get started.? Looks like covering it is not a good idea since the water feels very warm and seems to make it worse. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated it before I throw in the towel.

pH tests with chlorine levels > 5 ppm can be misleading, try again when the chlorine goes down. Maintain between 7.2 and 7.8, ideally 7.4 to 7.5. Alk and calcium are fine.

Add about 450 grams of stabilizer to bring the level up to 20 ppm, this should keep your chlorine from depleting too quickly. Or continue using your pucks until the stabilizer level reach 20-30 ppm then move to unstabilized chlorine (cal hypo or bleach).

Vacuum to waste to remove dead algae.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”