What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
momto3boys
I'm new here
I'm new here

New Salt System Pool

Postby momto3boys » Wed 30 Aug, 2006 22:20

OK I am new a pool owner and we have the salt system--are there any chemicals that I am not suppose to use with this type of system? I obviously know that I don't need chlorine since the salt system converts salt pellets into chlorine but anything else?

Re: New Salt System Pool

Postby Guest » Fri 01 Sep, 2006 13:42

momto3boys wrote:OK I am new a pool owner and we have the salt system--are there any chemicals that I am not suppose to use with this type of system? I obviously know that I don't need chlorine since the salt system converts salt pellets into chlorine but anything else?

Yes but you still need chlorine if you shock as a salt system is unable to quickly raise the level of sanitizer to shock levels for the pool volume. And it's safe to keep chlorine on hand just in case the system fails.

The electrolysis of salt produces chlorine and sodium hydroxyde and sodium hydroxide causes a rise in pH, so just keep an eye out on the pH and adjust accordingly. It'll top out and remain at about 7.8-7.9 if you just ignore it though.

That's about all. Pool water chemistry is rather simple. Your salt system introduces chlorine by a different method (than, say, pouring or through a chlorinator), but the basics remain: test your water often, don't mix chemicals, be careful, non-chlorine "shocks" eat up chlorine and confuses test kits.

I've heard many positive comments about salt water pools and how the water feels softer. Congratulations on your new salt system, it certainly takes away a fair bit of pool maintenance and worries, just remember to test your water regularly to spot any issues ahead of time.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”