algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Desert Canuck
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Community pool; plaster, cartridge filter, aprox 26,000 gallons

Community Condo Pool issues

Postby Desert Canuck » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 13:30

Our pool had been closed during the pandemic; but the HOA has since worked to reopen it. My concern is that the pool tech appears to not have been aware of the opening; nor had been paying much attention to the pool. The Free Chlorine is at 23 ppm (County max is 5 ppm) and the CYA is at 129 ppm (County max, which is generous, is 100 ppm). The pool tech tells our Board that this is typical for this time of year; and not to worry as they will look at it on Monday. The local Commercial Pool Store tested the water twice, and stated the opposite - the levels are too high; especially CYA - and our community should consider closing the pool for a couple of days, to bring the levels under the max levels dictated by the county. Need an expert with more experience than me to provide an opinion.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Community Condo Pool issues

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 03 Jul, 2020 16:44

How did the CYA get so high but you can swim up to the shock level for your CYA subject to local law
Excessive CYA renders your chlorine ineffective and you have to use more to get the same sanitation
For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Dichlor, it also increases CYA by 9 ppm.
For every 10 ppm FC added by Cal-Hypo, it also increases Calcium Hardness (CH) by at least 7 ppm
To reduce your CYA you have to do a partial drain and refill
Chlorine / CYA Chart and
Recommended Pool Levels
Use these common products to balance your pool
Liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite or plain bleach)
Muriatic acid (hydrochloric acid) to lower pH and TA
Bicarbonate of soda to raise TA
Aeration will raise pH only
Soda ash will raise pH and TA

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”