water bugs? Look here.

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
lainey

swimmers

Postby lainey » Sat 16 Sep, 2006 13:00

Call a pool supply in your area, ask to speak with the owner or the person that has been there the longest. I found that when I was trying to get answers there were alot of people at pool supply that didn't have clue.

My pool guy that seems to know the answers is Steve at 575-5821

Hope this helps

law1120
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby law1120 » Fri 01 Jun, 2007 08:17

I am going TODAY to get the Bioguard Backup. I hope that I have as much success as the previous poster did.
justnutts

pool bugs

Postby justnutts » Sat 07 Jul, 2007 23:23

we had those nasty water bugs in our pool too. we got some inexpensive algacide and dumped it into our pool. killed a lot of those critters, but they kept coming back. so we tried the lemon joy routine as mentioned in another web site. says to turn on the pool light after dark and wait for the critters to show up and drop lemon joy in the water. somehow it prevents the bugs from breathing and will die. it was only minimally effective, so we kept dumping in the algacide, then waiting until dark, turned on the pool light and waited for the little ones to come out. we caught them in a net and dumped them into a pail of soapy water and watched them die. after a couple of times of this, the population decreased to zilch. we will keep up the algacide routine once a week and don't expect the bugs to come back. it works for us and we hope it works for you!!!!!!!!!!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sun 08 Jul, 2007 09:58

This is poor advice.

If your pool is properly chlorinated, you don't HAVE algae and therefor there is nothing for the bugs to eat. Algaecide is a preventative..NOT a cure and it certainly is not a pesticide.

DO NOT pour "Lemon Joy" or any other wives tale home recipe into your pool. Unless you want your problems to multiply. :roll:

Chlorine is your cure for algae. Cure the algae and you cure the bugs. Get your water balanced and these kind of problems magically go away.
Frustrated in PA

Backswimmers

Postby Frustrated in PA » Sun 08 Jul, 2007 21:37

I just logged on to find out what those little bugs are called. I usually have 2 or four of them in my pool and cannot get them out. I fished two out today - one which wiggled off the net and down my suit and bit me where you are probably thinking it did. Let me tell you.... IT HURT!! Thanks for the above tips to get rid of the little buggers! I hope that it works, and thanks for the website to find the chemical cheap! When it comes to the pool - saving a few bucks where you can considering how expensive it is and how long you actually get to use it - it a great thing!!

Postby Guest » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 17:56

I followed the advice of Godspeed in the original post and for over a month, I have had NO BUGS! I have worked hard to keep my water balanced, scrubbed and chlorinated!

Thanks Godspeed!!!!
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Sat 14 Jul, 2007 20:49

Anonymous wrote:I followed the advice of Godspeed in the original post and for over a month, I have had NO BUGS! I have worked hard to keep my water balanced, scrubbed and chlorinated!

Thanks Godspeed!!!!

This is what we have been saying all along. A properly chlorinated pool, free of algae, has no bugs. No need for soap, snake oil, etc.

Congrats on your crystal clear pool!
imallory

Postby imallory » Thu 09 Aug, 2007 16:19

After an enjoyable swim in our pool, I noticed ichy welts on my arm. My husband and daughter had welts too. I finally was able to identify not only the cause but the name of the culprit. Surprisingly the pool store had no idea what I was talking about. Now I can teach them something. Thanks!![/b]
Help I Got Bit, By WHAT!?

Postby Help I Got Bit, By WHAT!? » Thu 09 Aug, 2007 16:22

imallory wrote:After an enjoyable swim in our pool, I noticed ichy welts on my arm. My husband and daughter had welts too. I finally was able to identify not only the cause but the name of the culprit. Surprisingly the pool store had no idea what I was talking about. Now I can teach them something. Thanks!![/b]
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 09 Aug, 2007 16:50

imallory wrote:Surprisingly the pool store had no idea what I was talking about.

Actually, that's not very surprising at all and all too common. :lol:
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
deanna6241

Thaniks

Postby deanna6241 » Thu 22 Jan, 2009 00:12

Oh my gosh i have finally found out what these little buggers are......thank u so much hopefully i can kill them off now ....thanks thanks....
lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby lonestar » Sun 01 Feb, 2009 09:52

Backglass wrote:This is poor advice.

If your pool is properly chlorinated, you don't HAVE algae and therefor there is nothing for the bugs to eat. Algaecide is a preventative..NOT a cure and it certainly is not a pesticide.

DO NOT pour "Lemon Joy" or any other wives tale home recipe into your pool. Unless you want your problems to multiply. :roll:

Chlorine is your cure for algae. Cure the algae and you cure the bugs. Get your water balanced and these kind of problems magically go away.

I agree. While "foaming" algaecide can break the water surface, effectively drowning the bugs, you still have water that isnt properly sanitized. Ear infections, diarreah etc. Each swimmer is estimated to bring a teaspoon of fecal matter into the pool. If you have bugs the chlorine isnt working. Your Cyanuric Acid levels may be too high.

Do yourself a favor. Test your water at a pool store and DO NOT SWIM when there are bugs in the water.
Patiobruce
I'm new here
I'm new here

Help!

Postby Patiobruce » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 13:56

I use Bioguard Algae All 60 non-foaming algae preventative. At the start of last year ( new pool ) we put a whole 32 OZ bottle in for the pool start-up and than 4 OZ once a week afterwards. We had " no " bugs " for months up until the end of the pool season here in Arizona when they started showing up. The pool guy/store had no idea how to help.
One guy suggested the Bioguard Back-Up to take the O2 out of the water but when I told him we had an " Ultra-Pure " unit as part of our pool filtering system he went blank! Ultra-Pure puts O2 into the pool water as part of the overall cleaning filter system. We use the non-foaming because we have a water feature.
I read the OP but with this Ultra Pure system I need help. It makes no sense to me to put Back-Up in the pool water when the Ultra Pure system is putting O2 in? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Patiobruce
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Patiobruce » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 14:01

I forgot to tell you. I have no evidence of algae.....
Patiobruce
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Patiobruce » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 15:20

I fished about 50 or so buggys out of my pool today. I get them in the net and than dump them on the deck & step on them. They jump around like fish out of the water. After stepping on a few, there is a " fishy " smell. God awful smell............ :o

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”