water bugs? Look here.

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
deanna6241

Thaniks

Postby deanna6241 » Thu 22 Jan, 2009 00:12

Oh my gosh i have finally found out what these little buggers are......thank u so much hopefully i can kill them off now ....thanks thanks....

lonestar
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby lonestar » Sun 01 Feb, 2009 09:52

Backglass wrote:This is poor advice.

If your pool is properly chlorinated, you don't HAVE algae and therefor there is nothing for the bugs to eat. Algaecide is a preventative..NOT a cure and it certainly is not a pesticide.

DO NOT pour "Lemon Joy" or any other wives tale home recipe into your pool. Unless you want your problems to multiply. :roll:

Chlorine is your cure for algae. Cure the algae and you cure the bugs. Get your water balanced and these kind of problems magically go away.

I agree. While "foaming" algaecide can break the water surface, effectively drowning the bugs, you still have water that isnt properly sanitized. Ear infections, diarreah etc. Each swimmer is estimated to bring a teaspoon of fecal matter into the pool. If you have bugs the chlorine isnt working. Your Cyanuric Acid levels may be too high.

Do yourself a favor. Test your water at a pool store and DO NOT SWIM when there are bugs in the water.
Patiobruce
I'm new here
I'm new here

Help!

Postby Patiobruce » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 13:56

I use Bioguard Algae All 60 non-foaming algae preventative. At the start of last year ( new pool ) we put a whole 32 OZ bottle in for the pool start-up and than 4 OZ once a week afterwards. We had " no " bugs " for months up until the end of the pool season here in Arizona when they started showing up. The pool guy/store had no idea how to help.
One guy suggested the Bioguard Back-Up to take the O2 out of the water but when I told him we had an " Ultra-Pure " unit as part of our pool filtering system he went blank! Ultra-Pure puts O2 into the pool water as part of the overall cleaning filter system. We use the non-foaming because we have a water feature.
I read the OP but with this Ultra Pure system I need help. It makes no sense to me to put Back-Up in the pool water when the Ultra Pure system is putting O2 in? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Patiobruce
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Patiobruce » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 14:01

I forgot to tell you. I have no evidence of algae.....
Patiobruce
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Patiobruce » Mon 23 Feb, 2009 15:20

I fished about 50 or so buggys out of my pool today. I get them in the net and than dump them on the deck & step on them. They jump around like fish out of the water. After stepping on a few, there is a " fishy " smell. God awful smell............ :o
chiefoh

Water bugs? Look here.

Postby chiefoh » Fri 19 Jun, 2009 09:06

UNREAL!!! It does work! BUT...... Don't get talked into using the BioGuard 60. "This should be 2x as good because it has 2x the active ingredient," I was told. It doesn't! Stick to the Back Up!!!!
---- Don't forget to scrub!! ----
Patiobruce
I'm new here
I'm new here

Water bugs? Look here.

Postby Patiobruce » Fri 19 Jun, 2009 12:28

Yes I think you are right! All Algae 60 doesn't do the job. The only problem with the Back-Up product for me is I have a water feature & it foams up................
ssarrahhhh

Water bugs? Look here.

Postby ssarrahhhh » Sat 20 Jun, 2009 19:37

:crazy: I didnt Kill them after skimming them out. D: I skimmed out a buncha them too.
Is that a problem?
JJ Bean

Water bugs? Look here.

Postby JJ Bean » Mon 20 Jul, 2009 00:02

ssarrahhhh wrote::crazy: I didnt Kill them after skimming them out. D: I skimmed out a buncha them too.
Is that a problem?

It's not necessarily a problem, you're just leaving them alive to come back another time. They are capable of flight, that's how they got in your pool. They (or their offspring) will come back.

I've had waterbugs (the back swimmers) in every pool i've ever owned (NOT due to poor upkeep) and can tell you from experience yes they sting, yes they hurt (I've got scars to prove it), yes they are hard to get rid of.

If you find something that works (using these tips, you should), make sure to KEEP IT UP as they WILL come back.
MARKAFN
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: 16 FOOT ULTRA FRAME POOL

Water bugs? Look here.

Postby MARKAFN » Sat 15 Aug, 2009 16:42

I have just spotted one in my pool , have killed it and took it out hopfully it was just a one off , have added more clorine to help
Luvgoose
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24' Round with Baqua Pure Sand Filter System

Water bugs? Look here.

Postby Luvgoose » Sun 16 Aug, 2009 08:20

We have these little buggers too. Hubby fishes them out as best as he can and then crushes them. I'm looking to get rid of them completely. We use Bacquacil products and not chlorine. So what chemical can we put in that will take care of this? We do scrub the walls etc. and use plenty of algaecide and algae does not ever appear to be an issue. Hubby is meticulous about caring for our pool. But we still get a handful of these critters and I want them GONE! Please help!
Sarahgirl123

water bugs? Look here.

Postby Sarahgirl123 » Tue 18 May, 2010 18:58

We have a thing called a spool, I guess it is like a huge spa, or a small pool. But anyway we live in Texas in the Dallas Fort worth area. And it was about in March or April, when my family thought it might be fun to get in the spool. So we took of the pool cover and cleaned out the spool and got it ready to get in. So we where in it for a while, and then it was starting to get dark, and there is this tree above the spool. And it almost seamed like a beetle fell from the tree to the spool. And then more came, like they where 1in. long. So we saw about six of the beetle things. And we got grossed out because they are pretty big. And then someone said that they where probably water-bugs. And one thing, I thought maybe it was that we had just moved from California to Texas and used a spool that we had never used before. So I just wanted to ask if this was unusual, or if it is regular? I would really want a answer! :)
Thanks,
-Sarah :)
Sarahgirl123

thank you! thank you! thank you!

Postby Sarahgirl123 » Tue 18 May, 2010 19:06

thank you! thank you!thank you! thank you! thank you!thank you! thank you! thank you!thank you! thank you! thank you!thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you! thank you!
VERY MUCH!!!! IT HELPED A LOT!!!!
______________________________________________________________________________________________
Hehehe... You are a funny person. You like to say thank you a lot. Huh? FYI: This is a reply, so you know!
Sarahgirl123

Postby Sarahgirl123 » Tue 18 May, 2010 19:12

Patiobruce wrote:I fished about 50 or so buggys out of my pool today. I get them in the net and than dump them on the deck & step on them. They jump around like fish out of the water. After stepping on a few, there is a " fishy " smell. God awful smell............ :o

______________________________________________________________________________________________
This is a reply by: Sarahgirl123 May-18-10 7:10 PM

I agree these little buggies are nasty! And are huge pests. :evil:
Sarahgirl123

Water bugs? Look here.

Postby Sarahgirl123 » Tue 18 May, 2010 19:15

Luvgoose wrote:We have these little buggers too. Hubby fishes them out as best as he can and then crushes them. I'm looking to get rid of them completely. We use Bacquacil products and not chlorine. So what chemical can we put in that will take care of this? We do scrub the walls etc. and use plenty of algaecide and algae does not ever appear to be an issue. Hubby is meticulous about caring for our pool. But we still get a handful of these critters and I want them GONE! Please help!

I ♥ your name! Luvgoose! CUTE!!!!

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”