water bugs? Look here.

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Leah

water bugs? Look here.

Postby Leah » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 10:52

We have these bugs too. Is it safe for kids if they accidently drink the water. I have a 3 & 4 year old who constantly swallow the water on accident, is this killer of bugs... safe for children?

ccandrews

water bugs? Look here.

Postby ccandrews » Wed 28 Jul, 2010 16:14

Ok so nobady had the back up algeacide but I had algeacide with copper in it and woke upi this morning to thet water bugs floating on top dead.My kid got bit and would not go in the pool til I took care of it so you don't need the biogurad one just an algeacide that has copper in it.Thanks for all the info thought i was never gonna get rid of them due to us haveing a creak run behind the house
jo

water bugs? Look here.

Postby jo » Wed 04 Aug, 2010 03:30

KILL BUGS NOW
CLOROX BLEACH we use bleach to clean the pool almost every day about half a bottle when we got those
bugs we tried it and dam its fast put about 1 bottle to start then youll know if you need to add a little
more we use bleach and the kids go rite in and swim and it clears your water real fast we have a big pool
never use anything else and it stays clean we sweep it a little that it cheep an ez
Donna
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Our pool is above ground, 2010, Oval, butress free , 15X30X52
1hp pump with large sand filter

water bugs? Look here.

Postby Donna » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 14:15

We had the pool bug know as Boatman. They are terribly hard to get rid of. We thought we were successful the 1st time but noticed them back again a few days later. We live across the street from a marsh so I think we were getting reinfected each night. We kept our clorine levels very high. Used algaescide 600 plus scrubbed the heck out of the pool. They have been gone now for several days and I hope they do not return. We were scooping them out and killing them but then switched to using the vacuum and sucking them up. That works much better. At least the boatman are the type that do not bite, I would hate to get the ones that do. Pool store was no help what so ever. I was telling them what to do in the end and we have only had our pool a couple of months. It took about 8 days in all to get rid of them.
floridapooltech
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: License # CPO34-283076

water bugs? Look here.

Postby floridapooltech » Fri 13 Aug, 2010 17:45

Donna wrote:We had the pool bug know as Boatman. They are terribly hard to get rid of. We thought we were successful the 1st time but noticed them back again a few days later. We live across the street from a marsh so I think we were getting reinfected each night. We kept our clorine levels very high. Used algaescide 600 plus scrubbed the heck out of the pool. They have been gone now for several days and I hope they do not return. We were scooping them out and killing them but then switched to using the vacuum and sucking them up. That works much better. At least the boatman are the type that do not bite, I would hate to get the ones that do. Pool store was no help what so ever. I was telling them what to do in the end and we have only had our pool a couple of months. It took about 8 days in all to get rid of them.

In order to permanently get rid of these pests, you really need to be sure NO algae whatsoever is present in the pool, at all! This is done by keeping your pH, Alkalinity, Free Chlorine & CYA levels in perfect balance, as well as constant brushing and vacuuming of the walls, floor, steps, & any other surfaces that are in the water. Weekly shocking may be required for some time to be sure absolutely no algae is present in the pool. Once the pool is perfectly clean, you need to backwash your filters regularly including taking it apart and manually cleaning it at least once every 6 months (more for cartridge). While algaecide isn't necessary, it will definitely help in keeping the algae positively GONE from the pool. Be sure to use a polyquat type algaecide as the linearquat algaecides tend to foam if accidentally overdosed. Hope this information will help since your local pool store failed to do so.

water bugs? Look here.

Postby Guest » Tue 07 Sep, 2010 15:44

Wow this should help! My daughter and her friend were swimming and my daughter said she saw two water boatmen. She had gone to summer camp many times and they went ponding so she knows what the look like. She fished a total of 6 out and there are still more!
hlj

water bugs? Look here.

Postby hlj » Fri 01 Oct, 2010 19:58

Your post makes the most sense. Today I thought I had multiple beehives in the corners of my pool, but it was those nasty boatmen. Thanks for the post!
Leeann

water bugs? Look here.

Postby Leeann » Mon 14 Mar, 2011 05:06

Here'a another quick tip for these annoying critters. take a spray bottle and mix regular dish detergent (i prefer dawn) and water. Spray the whole surface of your pool with this mixture, wait at least 12 hours and start fishing them out. Just for good measure I dump them in a bucket of oil and water and let the sit for a few more hours to make sure they're good and dead. The dish soap breaks down naturally in about 24 hours. I've never used any kind of bug guard, I just do this at the beginning of the season and then make sure I use algecide on a regular basis. Hope this helps!
Mac

water bugs? Look here.

Postby Mac » Thu 05 May, 2011 09:02

We have water boatmen as well and just cant get rid of them at the moment. I have asked my pool builder about them and he seems he has never experienced them; what a joke. So I called up few other pool builder and same thing; they just close a blind eye. It is amazing that people who have been in that business for years claim never to have heard of these bugs...
BotheredByBUGS

water bugs? Look here.

Postby BotheredByBUGS » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 08:21

Hello fellow Backswimmer haters! I have researched these bugs..and am here with answers to your problems!

How to know you have Backswimmers in YOUR pool: You may be confused with the look alike The Water Boatman. To make sure it is a Backswimmer..simly lift one of the tricky guys out of your pool with a net and lay it on the ground. Is it whitish looking with dark spots? if so.. its a Backswimmer!
Things you MUST know : Backswimmers DO bite! Ouchh! watch out for small children who like bugs! Their sting can feel like anything from getting poked with a small needle to a small bee sting.
To remove the little beasts: Well, when first opening your pool you may find several of them.. so shock your pool at least twice.. this will kill the small backswimmers.. and their babys. (they will float to the surface of your pool) to kill the large ones.. is a bit more difficult. You can go the easy way, and try a chemical you can buy from a pool store. (often called bugout) OR you can try catching them and killing them instantly. if you just fling them out.. must likley they will fly back in! (YES! THEY FLY!)This may take a couple days.. but now.. I DONT HAVE ANY MORE BUGS! :D
psimons

water bugs? Look here.

Postby psimons » Sat 18 Jun, 2011 03:56

There is a chemical you can buy from a company based in Arizona. It is called Bug Off and it really works. It is made by a company called Lo-Chlor Chemicals. I used it in my pool and the boatment all sink to the bottom of the pool and then you vacuum them or scoop them with up your net.
Hagioslife

water bugs? Look here.

Postby Hagioslife » Thu 07 Jul, 2011 18:50

Hello! I searched the web for the water bugs in the pool but nothing looks like the one that is in my pool!
There is now more then 80,I think!! They are pretty small. And it lives outside the water and jumps!
I'm stepping on them!help!!!!!!
shepp5

water bugs? Look here.

Postby shepp5 » Wed 20 Jul, 2011 22:39

Does this work with a salt generated pool? I have them BAD. Pool company does not recommend that I do anything but take them out by net. My chlorine is high enough and adding more would not be healthy. They do not recommend algecide. I cannot be taking 100's of backswimmers out of my pool every day.
Big Ron

water bugs? Look here.

Postby Big Ron » Sat 10 Sep, 2011 17:45

I'm surprised nobody knows about Skill-it. Go to Leslie's Pool Supply (Google it) and get a chemical called "Skill-it". Works like magic. The bugs pack up and leave. You need to get rid of the algae. I didn't see Skill it on their website but the individual stores sell it.
creid

water bugs? Look here.

Postby creid » Wed 13 Jun, 2012 07:46

Any of Sani Marc's Algaecides work to solve this problem. Tried and proven!! :D

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”