Where do I put chemicals?

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Wanda323

Where do I put chemicals?

Postby Wanda323 » Fri 14 Apr, 2006 16:47

I just had my new pool installed Monday of this week, it is a 24 foot above ground pool with a swimpro by Hayward pump/filter, I slowly filled it all week till now it is full, I turned the pump on today about 3 hours ago and should I be adding the chemicals in the start up kit and how do I add them, where do I add them? I would really appreciate any help I could get. Thanks in advance.

Pool Helper

New pool startup

Postby Pool Helper » Sat 15 Apr, 2006 17:49

I always start adding the chlorine before the pool is full to avoid an algae bloom which can happen in hours in warm, sunny weather.

Add some chlorine immediately. Use the test kit you got to measure the pH. Use the pH adjuster to get your pH right.

You probably got some algeacide. You will need to use this too, unless you have some kind of mineral system.

Let us know what the startup kit has for more help.

Pool start up

Postby Guest » Sat 15 Apr, 2006 23:39

Start up kit had 4 bags of balancer, 2 bags of equalizer and 2 bags of conditioner. There were two small buckets of chlorine tabs and a bucket of it called 'shock'. I added all the small bags, and then put in 20 small tabs, tonight I added the shock granulated stuff. I also put some tabs in a duck that floats around to despinse. Everything looks clean and fresh and sparkling, tomorrow I am going to use the test strip to see if I can see how to read them. Thank you so much for your reply on my post!!! I can't find a lot of the papers they left me, all the boxes I open have nothing in them but the items no paper work telling me what to do, the vacum I have no idea how to use and the thermometor I have no idea where to put it, but I am sure I will learn, they see an old womam come and and think they have a sucker LOL. I am also taking a pool class next Saturday whick will help a lot and I really appreciate you help!!!!!!!!
Pool Helper

New pool help

Postby Pool Helper » Sun 16 Apr, 2006 08:51

Keep us posted as to the results of the tests and maybe I can be of help to guide you through what you need to do.
Wanda323

Pool start up

Postby Wanda323 » Sun 16 Apr, 2006 13:51

Everything shows good with the test strip EXCEPT the ph, it's light pink where it looks like it should be dark pink or red.
Lucy

Pool start up

Postby Lucy » Fri 11 Apr, 2008 18:22

New pool 24 just filled it up yesterday....finally!

Got a start up kit .. non-cholorine oxidizer 2 (1) pound bags

granular metal removing agent 2 bags .75 lbs(340.2 g)

2 start-up & winterzing algicide3 dry oz(85 grames)

and test strips..

pool holds 13, 500 gallons of water..

We dont know how much to put into the pool nor do we know where to put what chemicals we have.. do we put in baskets or just throw in the pool..

and what do we have to buy.. to keep the pool right..

what chemicals do the pool really need each week to keep it maintained..

what do we buy..

the pool company who sold the pool is to busy to stay on the phone and help us... with our questions..
I understand they want us to come there and buy there chemicals.. so they make a profit..

but... if I can buy the same chemicals at Wal-Mart... that I will need.. cheaper... cause we are not rich people.. then I would like to know what I need to buy to keep my pool maintained ...

it rained today and there is no chemicals in pool at the moment..

If you can... send me a reply it would make my day.. and help us so so much..

Sincerely
SM

BBB method

Postby Guest » Sat 12 Apr, 2008 07:04

You want to go to walmart and buy Bleach, Borax, and baking Soda.

While you're there get some stabilizer.

Bleach for sanitizer.
Borax (20 mule team) for PH.
Baking Soda for TA.

Stabilizer is to protect your Chlorine so sun doesn't burn it up. Use about 6lbs of stabilizer and it should bring you to about 30-50 CYA. Don't go above that cuz then you will need much more chlorine. Not enough CYA and it just burns up.

Don't worry about pucks. You are about to make this EAZY PEAZY with BBB!

Throw the stabilizer in a sock or you can broadcast around the pool. It takes a couple days to disolve. Pour bleach slowly over the return with pump running... and I just throw the borax over the top of the pool too. Same with Baking soda.

O. And one last thing... ENJOY YOUR POOL!
mr_clean
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Pool start up

Postby mr_clean » Sat 12 Apr, 2008 18:19

is this a plaster pool?
when you fill a new or newly replastered pool you do not add liquide chlorine so there is no metals reaction which can cause brown staining at the bottom of the pool.
go here & it will give you step by step instructions on how to do a pool startup for new pools.
Remember when adding any granular/dry chemicals to a pool you should always dissolve it in a bucket of water before adding it to pool as staining/marks can happen from it sitting on the bottom of pool.
Just a note lots of people buy granular conditioner & add to sock & hang in pool until dissolved or add to skimmer & let dissolve in filter, but the company Hasa makes a fine powdered conditioner that will dissolve in a bucket of water & can be added to pool once pool is balanced.Hasa

if this is a aggregate pool finish which has already been acid washed, you would run pump 24/7 for 3-days, add sequestering agent/metal remover & adjust PH-7.2/7.4 & alkalinity 80-100. do not add chlorine for first three days & brush pool 2-3 times per day. fourth day Clean filter & add all chemicals needed to keep pool balanced, chlorine included.

in any new pool do not add automatic pool cleaner or vacuum pool for 3-weeks so you avoid marks.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”