What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
sparkwatercleaner
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Superchlorination & CYA

Postby sparkwatercleaner » Tue 01 Jan, 2008 19:04

If cya levels are high, I will need more chlorine to chock my pool than if it was within normal levels??? Are chloramines stabilized by CYA???

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Re: Superchlorination & CYA

Postby chem geek » Tue 01 Jan, 2008 20:47

sparkwatercleaner wrote:If cya levels are high, I will need more chlorine to chock my pool than if it was within normal levels??? Are chloramines stabilized by CYA???

Yes, you will need a higher level to shock your pool when the CYA level is higher, but normally you would only need to shock your pool in order to kill algae. For an outdoor pool with sufficient chlorine levels, regular exposure to sunlight, and good air circulation, you normally don't need to shock. Do you have a good test kit such as the Taylor K-2006 and have explicitly measured Combined Chlorine (CC) > 0.5 ppm?

Chloramines are not exactly stabilized by CYA in the sense that CYA does not combine with them. There is a shielding effect of CYA protecting lower depths of the water from UV rays so to that extent it protects everything including chloramines, but monochloramine is more stable than chlorine (hypochlorous acid) in sunlight. What high CYA levels do is slow down the breakpoint of monochloramine by chlorine (since the disinfecting chlorine level is lower) so that could be what you are seeing.

Richard

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”