Cyan Uric Acid

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
Frank Ernst

Cyan Uric Acid

Postby Frank Ernst » Fri 26 Dec, 2008 12:44

I added Cyan Uric Acid to the pool as recommended by my local pool supply store, where I have a water sample tested on a weekly basis. The water turned green and gave of a strong chlorine smell, which lasted for a short while. It is now 5 days later and the water is still green, but not quite as dark. This is a salt pool with a chlorine generator. Can you please tell me what the problem is. Thank you.

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Cyan Uric Acid

Postby chem geek » Fri 26 Dec, 2008 13:48

It's Cyanuric Acid (one word for "cyanuric") and is abbreviated CYA. You probably added too much CYA and/or have too low a target setting for Free Chlorine (FC). In order to prevent green algae growth in a saltwater chlorine generator (SWG) pool, you need to maintain an FC level that is at least 5% of the CYA level. The 1-3 ppm FC with 60-80 ppm CYA recommendations of most SWG manufacturers is NOT enough to prevent algae growth in many pools if the water has nutrients (phosphates, nitrates) for algae.

I assume the water took a few days to turn green, is that right? It didn't turn green immediately, did it? Or was the water already cloudy when you added the CYA and then it turned green?

You should get yourself a good test kit so that you can take charge of the water. You can get the Taylor K-2006 at a good online price here or the TF100 test kit from tftestkits(dot)com here with the latter kit having 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced "per test".

You can learn much more about how to maintain your pool properly at the Pool School at Trouble Free Pool. You can read about Defeating Algae and Water Balance for SWGs, among other things.

Richard
Frank Ernst

Cyanuric Acid Turned Water Green

Postby Frank Ernst » Sat 27 Dec, 2008 13:25

Thank you Richard for your response. The water turned green very quickly after adding the cyanuric acid. I estimate within an hour or two. I just learned that several other pools in my area have had the same problem and that the supplier is stating that this was a bad batch of cyanuric acid, which, incidentally, is imported from China. Do you have any thoughts regarding the fact that the water turned green fairly quickly and initially was accompanied by a strong chlorine odor, as was experienced by another pool owner who I spoke with ? Thank you very much
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Cyanuric acid water turned green

Postby chem geek » Sat 27 Dec, 2008 22:03

Yeah, if it turned green quickly, then it sounds like there was copper in the Trichlor pucks/tabs. Some Trichlor has been sold in the past with copper in it. Too much copper will make the water green and can also stain the pool plaster, especially if the pH rises. Get your water tested for copper. You would need to stop using these pucks and also use a metal sequestrant to help keep the copper in solution, though only water dilution will eventually get rid of it.

Richard
Frank Ernst

Postby Frank Ernst » Sun 28 Dec, 2008 08:40

I am confused. What are the Trichlor pucks/tabs. The CYA was in a granular powder form. Does the CYA contain Trichlor and / or did this CYA possibly contain copper. Thank you.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 28 Dec, 2008 13:45

Sorry, I was the one who got confused. I've heard of copper in Trichlor before, but not in Cyanuric Acid itself. That's a new one. You are right that CYA is granular/powder and not in pucks. Sorry to confuse you.

The green may be something other than copper -- some other impurity in the CYA -- but you can have your water checked for copper to see.
outdrsman

Foamy water during pool opening

Postby outdrsman » Thu 30 Apr, 2009 12:19

I've added 3"chlorine tabs, shock and algaeside as usual when opening pool but for some reason this year the water keeps foaming up. Water is almost clear with no algae, ph is good, chlorine is reading low. The only thing I did different is my 3"tabs have an algaeside with them(blue on one side and disolves very quickly). Wheres the foam coming from? Why won't it stop? Pool has been running for 6days now.
Pooltech32
Swimming Pool Wizard
Swimming Pool Wizard

Cyan Uric Acid

Postby Pooltech32 » Thu 30 Apr, 2009 16:59

cheaper algecides for some reason make the pools soapy, I would reccomend to stop using them and go to a pool store and buy a decent product. and pick up some antifoam to get rid of the bubbles now
Pool repair guy
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Cyan Uric Acid

Postby chem geek » Thu 30 Apr, 2009 19:57

You shouldn't normally need to use an algaecide, though if you continue to use Trichlor pucks then you probably should since the rise in CYA will make the chlorine less effective. PolyQuat 60 algaecide is more expensive, but won't foam. As Pooltech32 says, you were likely using an inexpensive algaecide -- probably a linear quat.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”