What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
CynthiaGillis
I'm new here
I'm new here

Endless Pool chemistry

Postby CynthiaGillis » Wed 04 Feb, 2009 15:19

I got an Endless Pool Smart Pool (indoor) -- about 3000 gallons -- a couple of months ago. I have been conscientious about pool testing and care and the water is comfortable and crystal clear. But from reading the guidelines on this Pool Wizard site it seems my TA and pH are more variable than they should be. The TA goes from about 110 down to 70 over a couple of weeks, then I add alkaline to bring it back up. pH goes from about 7.1 - 8.0, over about 5 days - that is about .2 or .3 per day, then I add pH reducer. Is this normal? TA does not seem to be as stable, or stabilizing the pH as well as you say it should. Incidentally, as per Endless Pools instruction, I use Clorox, about 1/2C/day keeping the free chlorine at about 1.0. And the temperature is 78 -79F. Any thoughts?

Cynthia Gillis
Landscapes & Gardens
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Re: Endless Pool chemistry

Postby chem geek » Wed 04 Feb, 2009 23:18

An "Endless" pool generates water currents and that probably churns up the water surface increasing the rate of aeration or carbon dioxide outgassing. That will tend to make the pH rise over time. You then add acid to lower the pH and that lowers the TA as well. So the net effect is a lowering of TA over time.

You can lessen this problem by not trying to raise the TA when it gets low. I wouldn't let it get below 50 ppm in any event, but when it's at 70 ppm let the pH at least drift up to 7.7 and don't bother lowering it until the pH gets closer to 8.0. You should find you use less acid that way and the pH rises more slowly. Do you have any Cyanuric Acid (CYA) in the water? Is this an indoor pool or is it exposed to sunlight?

Pools are intentionally over-carbonated and TA is mostly a measure of that. The excess carbonation will outgas and that causes the pH to rise. This happens faster when the TA is higher, when the pH is lower, and when there is more aeration (air/water mixing).

Richard

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”