sodium bisulfate, ....??
SC-Ben
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 1980gal, In-ground

PH/TA So Low Pool Store Can't Test

Postby SC-Ben » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 14:20

PLEASE HELP!

I just moved into a house with a 1980gal in-ground pool with a sand filter system. I tested my water with test strips and it indicated low PH, TA, and Total Hardness. Chlorine is normal to above normal. Please note that my Chlorine, PH, Acid Demand / Base Demand, Calcium Hardness, Total Alkalinity, Cyanuric Acid reagent test kit is on its way so for now all I have is strips. I also took a sample into my local pool shop and their test equipment could not read the water due to the extreme low PH/TA.

Over the last few days I have added 2lbs of PH UP, 1lb of TA Up (Arm&Hammer Baking Soda), and a cup of Calcium Hardness Increaser.Water is clean and clear with no cloudiness. Test results remain unchanged.

Please help!!!

chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 14:39

I don't think you meant a 1980 gallon in-ground pool, did you? Did you mean 19,800 gallon?

I suspect that the pH and TA are low because the previous owner used Trichlor pucks/tabs without adjusting for pH so it "crashed" by using up all the TA and having the pH drop. If I simulate that by using 55 Trichlor 3" pucks/tabs which is 152 ppm FC so 1 ppm FC per day for around 5 months, then the pH is below the 4.5 where the TA test would immediately turn red instead of starting out green.

If the pool size is really 19,800 gallons, then 2 pounds of pH Up and 1 pound of Alkalinity Up would raise the pH to around 5.1 and the TA would measure around 10 ppm. In other words, it's not nearly enough. HOWEVER, you should NOT use Alkalinity Up if you are using pH Up to raise the pH. pH Up will raise both the pH and the TA.

So as not to get the TA too high, I would add around 15-20 pounds of pH Up, but do so in 5 pound increments, wait an hour or so with the circulation pump running, then retest. This should get the TA up towards the 100-120 ppm range. The pH may be at around 6.5 or so, but you should then be able to aerate the water to get the pH up further or you can at that point use 20 Mule Team Borax to further raise the pH.

Richard
SC-Ben
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 1980gal, In-ground

Postby SC-Ben » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 15:41

Thanks for the response. The previous owner did have a floater that was set for 5000gal pool and no typo, 1980gal is correct. It is more of a soaking tub than a pool. :lol:

I will try to add some more PH Up.
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby chem geek » Sun 05 Apr, 2009 16:26

In that case, just add 1/2 pound of pH Up at a time and I doubt it will take very much more to get the pH up.

You know, the other water parameters, such as Cyanuric Acid (CYA), may be out of whack and the only way to reduce it is to dilute the water so you should seriously consider just draining and refilling and start over. Who knows what's in this water over a long time of misuse.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”