No Chlorine?

What is floc, clarifier, stabilizer, cyanuric acid,
algaecide, brightener, dichlor, sodium hypo,
sodium bisulfate, ....??
TabSinger2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15' Round, Above Ground Pool. 4' deep. Sand Filter. Heavy Use (3 kids).

No Chlorine?

Postby TabSinger2 » Tue 01 Jun, 2010 17:51

By mid summer 2009 we were struggling to keep the chlorine level functional. In September, my husband opted to guess at what might work and poured a bunch of crap in it. I know there was a gallon of algaecide in it by October. During this time, no matter how much chlorine I dumped in, it wouldn't register on a test strip or when we took it to have it done at the pool supply store. I added a super shock treatment once a day for 3 days, still no chlorine. The alkalinity goes up and the water tests hard, etc. But not a drop of chlorine!!
We opened the pool a few weeks ago. It's been vacuumed and the filter back washed. I shocked it, still no chlorine registers. I have had it. I don't know what can neutralize chlorine that fast. HELP!

TabSinger2
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15' Round, Above Ground Pool. 4' deep. Sand Filter. Heavy Use (3 kids).

No Chlorine?

Postby TabSinger2 » Tue 01 Jun, 2010 21:23

I was able to find several posts and answers to my problem within the forum. I will attempt to remedy the situation from what I've read.
TabSinger2
I'm new here
I'm new here

No Chlorine?

Postby TabSinger2 » Mon 21 Jun, 2010 23:09

The test strips that we were using, two different types, were failing to detect the chlorine. I purchased a $40 test kit and checked the water with it. My FC was fine and so was the pH. The test strips would have caused us to add excessive amounts of chlorine and who knows what else!! Take your water to be tested or get a good kit!! It's worth it.

No Chlorine?

Postby Guest » Tue 20 Jul, 2010 21:59

tabsinger2--I have had a pool for 32 years and never had a no chlorine reading after i've dumped lots of chlorine in it. What was the solution that you found out? I'm desperate!!
chem geek
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

No Chlorine?

Postby chem geek » Wed 21 Jul, 2010 13:18

Standard DPD chlorine tests where you compare the intensity of pink/red will bleach out at high chlorine levels having you think there is no chlorine when in fact there is a high chlorine level. The inexpensive OTO chlorine test where you compare the intensity of yellow will not bleach out, but it isn't accurate and doesn't readily distinguish Free Chlorine (FC) from Combined Chlorine (CC).

The best chlorine test kit is the FAS-DPD chlorine test since it accurately determines both FC and CC by counting the drops (see a demo here) and can measure to within 0.2 ppm for FC and CC. You can get an excellent complete test kit by purchasing either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 with the latter kit having more volume of reagents so is comparably priced per test and has a more logical quantity of reagents. If you already have a Taylor K-2005 so have everything but the FAS-DPD chlorine test, you can get that here.

Return to “Pool Chemical Problems & Swimming Pool Chemicals”