Very fine granular substance builds up on pool floor

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
genchiro
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Intex 9'x18' above ground metal frame vinyl pool with sand filter and saltwater chlorine system.

Very fine granular substance builds up on pool floor

Postby genchiro » Sat 12 Dec, 2020 17:17

I have an above ground metal frame Intex vinyl pool with a sand filter and salt water chlorine system. I suddenly started getting a coating of very fine sand or dirt on the floor of the pool early last summer. It tends to gather in the same spots and is easily brought up into the water with the wave of a foot, skimmer or brush. In other words it doesn't stick to the vinyl. At first I thought it was algae but no amount of chlorine would get rid of it and it consistently started to appear and build up a few hours after I vacuumed. I tried replacing the sand in my filter thinking there might be a build-up of some contaminant but that didn't help so now I'm wondering if I'm just using an inferior brand of sand. Honestly don't recall the brand but I did get it from a pool store so it's made for pool filters. If anyone has any experience with this problem I would greatly appreciate your input!

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Very fine granular substance builds up on pool floor

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 13 Dec, 2020 03:49

if you vacuum to waste do you still get it
Also try adding a cup of DE to the filter through the skimmer
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Very fine granular substance builds up on pool floor

Postby Teapot » Mon 14 Dec, 2020 08:34

As Dennis suggested DE powder or your wifes best towel scrunched up into the skimmer basket.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”