HUGE PROBLEM !!!

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
durazor
I'm new here
I'm new here

HUGE PROBLEM !!!

Postby durazor » Sun 03 Jun, 2007 22:05

My worst nightmare has happened. My neighbors Bamboo has started to grow on my side of the yard and when I was ready to replace my liner, I found a bamboo shoot on the inside wall of my 21ft. AG Pool...AAAHHHH!!!!!

Is there any way to kill this off before it starts growing more under the pool or do I have to move the pool to the other side of my house?

Thanks.

Eric
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Thu 07 Jun, 2007 08:28

Bamboo spreads by underground rhizomes. Depending on the exact species, the rhizomes can be up to 2' deep but are usually 6-8". This will only get worse unless you take immediate and drastic action.

First, dig up the area between the pool and the bamboo carefully removing the rhizomes. Then put up a barrier as close to the property line as possible, see jmbamboo dotcom/barrier.htm for one example. The barrier should extend well beyond where the bamboo grows as it spreads with time.

Now, get yourself a spray bottle of Roundup. Leave the dug up area alone for several weeks. Spray any bamboo shoots with Roundup every day until they are all dead. If you can, spray, wait a few hours, and then dig up the rhizome.

Finally, keep the top of the barrier clear of fallen leaves, etc. You don't want to create a path for the bamboo to spread again.

Good luck.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”