Pool Salt

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
lrs2

Pool Salt

Postby lrs2 » Sun 10 Jun, 2007 13:28

I am a new pool user...Bought an Intex 24" round pool..Also wanted to go with a salt system...got the system, can't find anyone who sells the salt! Called Morton Salt co. they have the pool salt, said HomeDepot has it...tried 5 stores, none have it. Help would be appreciated

Buggsw
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Buggsw » Sun 10 Jun, 2007 16:09

Check with your manufacturer. Some say you can use water softener salt pellets.

Postby Guest » Sun 17 Jun, 2007 22:46

try costco
Walter
Swimming Pool Pro
Swimming Pool Pro

Postby Walter » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 15:53

Lowes sells the salt also, you can use food quality salt for the pool.
We are a custom pool and spa builder. We can only offer suggestions with the information given. Don't hesitate to email me if you have a questions and I will answer it as best as I can or point you in the right direction.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Mon 18 Jun, 2007 20:40

Use plain water softener salt. The blue bag (Morton)...not the green, yellow or white as they have additives.

The blue bag of Morton water softener salt is just that...99.5% salt. Get it at Home Depot, Lowes, Same, Walmart, etc.
Litoq

Postby Litoq » Tue 17 Jul, 2007 12:53

What is the best way of introducing the salt to the pool? I was thinking about pouring the salt into a bucket a little at a time, diluting it with water then dumping it into the pool but with a 27' pool, that's a lot of diluting and time.

I too had the same problem about finding the salt but I did see the Morton water softener salt at Home Depot yesterday for about $8 plus change for an 80lb bag. I figure I would need about 7-8 bags. That's' a lot of salt!!

Is there a big difference between the Morton Pool salt and the Morton Water Softener salt? Should I just try to find the Pool salt instead?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:29

Litoq wrote:What is the best way of introducing the salt to the pool? I was thinking about pouring the salt into a bucket a little at a time, diluting it with water then dumping it into the pool but with a 27' pool, that's a lot of diluting and time.

I too had the same problem about finding the salt but I did see the Morton water softener salt at Home Depot yesterday for about $8 plus change for an 80lb bag. I figure I would need about 7-8 bags. That's' a lot of salt!!

Is there a big difference between the Morton Pool salt and the Morton Water Softener salt? Should I just try to find the Pool salt instead?

Just toss it into your skimmer. It will dissolve rapidly. The pool salt and blue bag water softener salt are the same thing...Salt.

One you get at Home Depot, and one you get at the pool store for double the price.

Your choice. ;)
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
Litoq

Postby Litoq » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 09:13

Hey Backglass...I don't mean to doubt your infinite pool wisdom since you have definitely helped me out alot with my pool but according to the directions for the saltwater clorinator, it states to distribute throughout the pool and not to put the salt in the skimmer. If you say that it is fine, then I'll go with your opinion. Many times while setting up this pool have the instructions been less then accurate. I'd rather go with someone who has experience.
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Thu 19 Jul, 2007 09:51

Litoq wrote:Hey Backglass...I don't mean to doubt your infinite pool wisdom since you have definitely helped me out alot with my pool but according to the directions for the saltwater clorinator, it states to distribute throughout the pool and not to put the salt in the skimmer. If you say that it is fine, then I'll go with your opinion. Many times while setting up this pool have the instructions been less then accurate. I'd rather go with someone who has experience.

Keep in mind that I do not have a salt pool, but I don't really think it matters as long as you dont overload the skimmer with hundreds of pounds of salt!

Distributing it through the pool certainly won't hurt anything but will take longer.
===============================

I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.

Postby Guest » Wed 28 May, 2008 18:00

I think the idea of distribution vs the skimmer method is that with distribution you don't introduce enormous amounts of salt through your heater plumbing.
Roylea

Pool Salt

Postby Roylea » Tue 07 Apr, 2009 20:51

Try Wal-mart
supere78
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18x36 ingroud vinyl liner pool
Pentair pump, filter and heat pump.
Filter is a cartridge filter

Pool Salt

Postby supere78 » Fri 10 Apr, 2009 11:05

I put the salt into my big leaf rake skimmer head and walk around the pool with the skimmer head in the water.. Another thing I do also is fill the leaf rake skimmer head with salt and put it in front of the return jet.
justme

Pool Salt

Postby justme » Fri 01 May, 2009 14:19

I have a salt system and just throwing into the pool itself is fine...it disolves quickly with no prolem. and home depot has the bags for HALF the price!!!! Thatss a huge savings!
01indianbob
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Commercial pool...151,000gallons located in a residential neighborhood

Saltwater in my pool

Postby 01indianbob » Sun 03 May, 2009 13:04

I assist in the caretaking of a 151,000 gallon commercial pool. It is located close...very close to a salt water bayou. About a week ago, the rains caused the bayou to swell to the point of flooding the pool. Yep, I had crabs in my pool! It took some time to backflush and clean the pool back to its super clean self. I never once stopped to think about the saltwater in the pool, and any damage it would cause until I got in the pool yesterday and got saltwater in my mouth (pool's not open yet, and I was cleaning). So, I have to ask in hopes that someone can tell me...Is it imperetive that I get this saltwater out of the pool, or will mother nature take care of this through the rain process? Sounds kind of dumb to me, but I have to ask anyway.

Bobby
01indianbob@gmail.com
terrylatham

Pool Salt

Postby terrylatham » Wed 27 May, 2009 14:03

lrs2 wrote:I am a new pool user...Bought an Intex 24" round pool..Also wanted to go with a salt system...got the system, can't find anyone who sells the salt! Called Morton Salt co. they have the pool salt, said HomeDepot has it...tried 5 stores, none have it. Help would be appreciated

Pinch-A-Penny has salt for around $7.50 per 40# bag. Use the finest granular salt you can find so that the salt dissolves the fastest. Introduce the sale by spreading it around the pool. Sweep the pool 24 hours later to assure distribution.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”