Pool Salt

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
terrylatham

Pool Salt

Postby terrylatham » Wed 27 May, 2009 14:05

terrylatham wrote:
lrs2 wrote:I am a new pool user...Bought an Intex 24" round pool..Also wanted to go with a salt system...got the system, can't find anyone who sells the salt! Called Morton Salt co. they have the pool salt, said HomeDepot has it...tried 5 stores, none have it. Help would be appreciated

Pinch-A-Penny has salt for around $7.50 per 40# bag. Use the finest granular salt you can find so that the salt dissolves the fastest. Introduce the sale by spreading it around the pool. Sweep the pool 24 hours later to assure distribution.

Sorry "salt" not "sale"

grami
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15 x36" round intex

Pool Salt

Postby grami » Wed 27 May, 2009 14:31

Irs2,
when you find the salt let me know too as I also cannot find it anywhere.
grami

Pool Salt

Postby Guest » Thu 04 Jun, 2009 17:06

i was also having a hard time finding salt also when i called everyone said they dont have it but if you go into the water soft area you will find it. i got mine from walmart and if they dont talk to a manager and have them order it.
ready2swim

Pool Salt

Postby ready2swim » Fri 10 Jul, 2009 14:39

Am setting up my pool late this year as the weather has been cool. Decided to go with the salt system this year as everything I read about it made it sound awesome. I was curious where to find the salt also. You can get it at Sam's Club (Morton Pool Salt, 40#) for $5.88. Hope that helps! Know I'm a bit late, but in case anyone is still searching.....
In The Know

Pool Salt

Postby In The Know » Tue 18 Aug, 2009 13:13

Get the salt from your Local Pool Company, do not use Morton's or Diamond or Dixie Crystals for all have unwanted additives that can damage your system and it also last half as long as a product called Aquasalt which is made in the USA and is tale Quailty.

I have been taking care of Commerical Pools for 20 years.
czechmate
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar
My Pool: 16 x 32 gunite21000 gal., Diamond Brite Blue, Swimquip XL pump, DE36

Pool Salt

Postby czechmate » Thu 20 Aug, 2009 16:03

Lowe's sells pools salt in large bags.
They just may be less expensive than a pool store.
I did not know myself, that salt system was so widely loved by the pool owners.
Maybe it made a progress.
fourpeakspools

Pool Salt

Postby fourpeakspools » Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:48

I didn't know there was this many uninformened people. if you have questions about your pool, call a licenced and insured pool professional. Trust me, they will take care of you. If you can't find one, check your local paper.
fourpeakspools

Pool Salt

Postby fourpeakspools » Fri 18 Sep, 2009 01:52

Half my pools in Scottsdale, AZ are salt. I love em. but they do need special care.
jimd

Pool Salt

Postby jimd » Wed 28 Apr, 2010 09:26

jimd wrote:
grami wrote:Irs2,
when you find the salt let me know too as I also cannot find it anywhere.
grami

do not use iodized salt, water softner salt does great 4th year salt pool LOVE IT
DoughBoy Pool Dude

Pool Salt

Postby DoughBoy Pool Dude » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 13:39

Would there be any adverse effects with using salt in my <a href="http://doughboypools.org">Doughboy Pools</a>?
DoughBoy Pools

Pool Salt

Postby DoughBoy Pools » Fri 18 Jun, 2010 13:40

Would there be any adverse effects with using salt in my Doughboy Pools?

http://doughboypools.org
Pipe Mike

Pool Salt

Postby Pipe Mike » Mon 28 Mar, 2011 12:58

I have an in-ground salt water pool. We always (ALWAYS) dump the bags of salt around the deep end. We use salt pellets (for water softeners) because it's cheaper than pool salt at Lowes and Home Depot. Our pool vacuum device sucks it up slowly as it skims the bottom, and the rest that dissolves gets sucked up thru the bottom return line. The skimmer is far too small to add the salt to.

Pool Salt

Postby Guest » Sun 29 May, 2011 16:45

Walmart carries the morton pool salt
hurleygirlie05
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18' round Intex above ground

Pool Salt Dissolve Rate

Postby hurleygirlie05 » Sat 20 Aug, 2011 09:38

Thanks for the tip on what salt to buy! We bought "Pool Salt" at Sam's Club but it was $5 something a bag and the water softener salt was $3 something a bag! Next time we'll be buying salt for a water softener.

My main question is how long does the salt take to dissolve? My husband is worried about the salt puncturing holes in the bottom of the pool since it is vinyl. Our pool is about 76 degrees as I am sure temperature plays a role in how fast it dissolves. He wants to put the salt in 5 gallon buckets in the pool but I think it will take way too long for the salt to dissolve that way.

Thanks for any help you can give us!
the pool boy

Pool Salt

Postby the pool boy » Sun 11 Sep, 2011 05:33

DONT EVER add chemicals through a skimmer. Always distribute around perimeter of pool, or broadcast over the surface. When adding salt, if you can bypass your heater, DO IT.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”