Problems with Installer Footprints on Bottom of Pool

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
rjdoss
I'm new here
I'm new here

Problems with Installer Footprints on Bottom of Pool

Postby rjdoss » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 15:32

We just had an above ground pool 18x33-oval installed. During the first attempt the liner came down about 1/2 way while loading the pool with water,flooding all around the pool. They came back 2 days later after everything had dried and the same thing occurred. (They retroweled and
put the liner back up with liner lock on the side that it came down,but not on the opposite side,so the opposite side came down after 1/4 of the pool was filled). Of course as they were trying to keep the liner up so it wouldn't flood again, they made many footprints. They then had to pump the water out to avoid redoing everything so that they could pull the liner up again and apply the liner lock to the side they hadn't used it on. We just got it completely filled today with water. It looks as if there are many footprints. Can I go to the bottom and use anything to smooth it out before it completely hardens? They left many footprints on the bottom.

Thank you, this has been a nightmare.

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 15:41

I am confused...they put cement (or something that hardens) under your above ground pool liner?

Usually it is just dirt and/or sand. What is it?
rjdoss
I'm new here
I'm new here

Footprints by Installers

Postby rjdoss » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 15:47

They put sand on the bottom,but when it washed out the first day they had to redo everything when they came back.
rjdoss
I'm new here
I'm new here

Footprints by Installers

Postby rjdoss » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 15:51

The Installers advised us not to get into the pool for at least 3days until the bottom hardens, as there would be "footprints" everywhere. Do you think I could put a portion of sand into an old square piece of t-shirt and ball it up then got down to the bottom of the pool and bang on it trying to smooth it out?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 16:05

I still don't understand what is hardening. The sand? Is there something else in it besides sand because sand doesn't harden.

Every above ground pool I have had with a sand bottom always has some flexible "give" to it. The pressure of the water will flatten it some I suppose, but if you push off hard with your foot, the liner and sand will move and leave a little toe print/ridge. Over time these dimples come and go as people walk on it.
rjdoss
I'm new here
I'm new here

Footprints by Installers

Postby rjdoss » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 17:01

The sand would be hardening. I guess I may be overreacting, it's just the installers made such a big deal about not getting into the pool right away,as footprints would be made making the bottom the pool very hard to clean. Do you forsee a problem? Is it more just because it feels better with a smooth bottom?
Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 17:22

I guess it just depends on how deep they are. If they are "bigfoot like", inch deep depressions, then that's a problem. If it's just a slight depression, I wouldn't sweat it!

Either way there is no harm in getting into the pool and trying to "work them out".

The issue is cleaning as ridges tend to collect dirt more but it's not a monumental problem.
rjdoss
I'm new here
I'm new here

Footprints by Installers

Postby rjdoss » Fri 29 Jun, 2007 17:27

They don't look like "Big Foot" imprints. I think I'm just freaked out by the whole experience. But you have definitely made me feel better. Thank you for your help.
tr0987

Re: Problems with Installer Footprints on Bottom of Pool

Postby tr0987 » Thu 27 Jul, 2017 09:29

I see these are old post but I had the same problem with footprints. Bottom was like walking on the moon! Was very unhappy and had company redo. It is some better footprints are pretty much gone but still bumpier than I thought it would be. Co tells me that with time and weight of water and people walking that it will get smoother. My worry is did it weaken the line in the areas that had been pressed down into the sand when installer walked across it. These prints were deep! With pool completely full of water, I walked up and saw a perfect set of prints all the way across the pool. There has to be a better way.....I have friends that's pool seem to be really smooth from day one!

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”