Pool liner WAY off center

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
Rosie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24’ round doughboy AGP

Pool liner WAY off center

Postby Rosie » Mon 30 May, 2022 02:11

:roll: I messed up. Last summer we installed a 24’ liner in our new AGP crooked. So I had a 4 foot overlap on one side and a 2 inch overlap on the other.
Over the winter, the winds pulled the last little bit off the 2” side. My plan is to drain the pool, remove railing and reposition and center the liner.
My concern is what do I do with the intake and return port??!! I can’t remove them, can I? Because they’ve already been cut into the liner. Do I just work around them? They are obviously in the wrong spot, but if I move the liner there will be large wrinkles by the intake.
I don’t know how to proceed!
Please help!
I would have called a professional pool installer, but we are literally in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin. “Crying”

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool liner WAY off center

Postby Denniswiseman » Mon 30 May, 2022 09:58

Post some images

Where you write a post
Click Full Editor & Preview
Click Attachments
Click Add Files or you can drag and drop
DJHPools
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DJHPools » Thu 02 Jun, 2022 12:30

Rosie wrote::roll: I messed up. Last summer we installed a 24’ liner in our new AGP crooked. So I had a 4 foot overlap on one side and a 2 inch overlap on the other.
Over the winter, the winds pulled the last little bit off the 2” side. My plan is to drain the pool, remove railing and reposition and center the liner.
My concern is what do I do with the intake and return port??!! I can’t remove them, can I? Because they’ve already been cut into the liner. Do I just work around them? They are obviously in the wrong spot, but if I move the liner there will be large wrinkles by the intake.
I don’t know how to proceed!
Please help!
I would have called a professional pool installer, but we are literally in the middle of nowhere Wisconsin. “Crying”

Im assuming its an overlap.
Depends on how the liner is sitting where the skimmer and return are. If the liner in that area came out to "where it should have been" then it will work, just reposition the rest of the liner with about that same amount of overhang. If it was on the 4 ft overhang part then no way. Have to try a new liner.

I never attempt an overlap liner without pre-clamping it in place first. You need spring loaded claps from a hardware store that have plastic on the tips so the metal of the clamp doesn't dig in. If your pool has a metal top stabilizer ring on top the wall, you leave that ring on so the wall doesnt cave in and pre position the liner with the clamps. You can then use the shop vac method to suck the liner tight, adjust, and pop out all the wrinkles. Start the water and once the water makes it up the wall an inch or two, you can take a pencil, mark the liner on the top of the stabilizer, turn off the shop vac, then take off a couple clamps, take off a couple stabilizers, and start coping your way around with the plastic coping strips, popping the stabilizer back on as you go.
Rosie
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 24’ round doughboy AGP

Postby Rosie » Sun 05 Jun, 2022 04:41

Djhpools, thanks for the very thorough reply.
Yes, expandable liner. Did not use the shop vac method.
Started with the liner evenly centered and pulled tight so it was 4’ off the ground. I had six people around the pool. As it started filling in the middle, using clamps, we would release one side a bit, reclamp, and release the other side a bit, then continue filling. And repeat until the liner touched the ground and went up the wall a few inches. Turns out, on the teenagers side, they released way less than adults did, and we ended up lopsided. I will be sure to use a pencil this time!
The skimmer and return port is smack in the middle of where the adults and teenagers were lined up.
So if I empty the pool and reposition the liner, do I remove the skimmer and return port?? Or just leave them on and carefully reposition the liner?

Because the skimmer was midway I will have large wrinkles in that area. Not ideal, but can I leave it wrinkled?

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”