24' overlap liner appears to be too small

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
Litoq

Postby Litoq » Tue 14 Aug, 2007 07:56

Backglass, the way you describe installing the overlap liner, it seems a breeze to install. Right now, I'm dealing with a slipping jbead liner and it was a very difficult and nerve-racking installation. It is slipping in the area where it stretched the most. Is there a reason to install beaded liners rather than overlaps?

Backglass
Swimming Pool Superstar
Swimming Pool Superstar

Postby Backglass » Tue 14 Aug, 2007 09:03

Litoq wrote:Backglass, the way you describe installing the overlap liner, it seems a breeze to install. Right now, I'm dealing with a slipping jbead liner and it was a very difficult and nerve-racking installation. It is slipping in the area where it stretched the most. Is there a reason to install beaded liners rather than overlaps?

It really was, and I was a liner *spamm* who didn't have a clue what he was doing! The toughest part was cutting the hole for the skimmer & return.

Now with Beaded liners, I understand it's a whole different ball game (I've never had a beaded liner). I believe that some pools require a beaded liner by design...I have no idea if you can switch to overlap.
===============================
I'm no expert...just a long time pool owner. The real experts are at www . troublefreepool . com

Download Bleachcalc free at troublefreepool . com /files/BleachCalc262.exe and start saving money on chemicals.
chumley
I'm new here
I'm new here

I wish I had that kind of slack

Postby chumley » Tue 14 Aug, 2007 12:57

Thanks for the replies. I really does appear from what some people are saying that the manuafacturers have quite a variance. I used to have a small 12' round x 36' high pool for the kids (actually we had a second one when the first was well used) and the liner which was an overlap virually hung on the wall and fit perfect - no stretching. The one I am trying to install appears way too small, however the bottom seam does appear to be the mandatory 24' across for my pool, that's why I was thinking something was fishy. The first liner which I ordered from Backyard City and was made by SK Plastics was 22'-4" from seam to seam.
I will pray for my repacement rails to come in (any day now) and some warm weather - It' been smoking hot for the last month and a half and now it seems to have cooled off and got in the cloudy rainy thing. I might not have the heat I need. Oh well I guess I will try the hot water and/or hair dryer trick to install. I will update with my progress when I get the rails. I really wish there was some good information on these liners as all the info infers, you just hang it on the wall, put the coping strip on, fill partially with water, put the top rail and supports on and away you go - if only it was that easy.
I will update. Thanks for the replies.
chumley
I'm new here
I'm new here

Success at long last

Postby chumley » Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:45

:D After much heartbreak - success finally and wouldn't you know it the hot weather went away and we are gettting way below normal temps. I haven't had a chance to post as have been too busy, however thought I should post my results and to reinforce the information that I received and experienced. We installed the liner the exact same way as I had previously with the exception of installing the first coping strip and then stretching liner (not yanking on it but firmly pulling) while warming the top part with a hair dryer. We worked around the pool and when we got to the same point we didn't have any slack previously, we had almost the exact amount of slack required to allow us to get it on. It appeared the liner fit reasonably close to walls on the bottom and right at the top with the stretching but in the middle part of the wall it seemed it was going to have to stretch a fair amount. I tried to get the wrinkles out of the floor, however it looked like crap and when I moved the wrinkles out of one area it merely shifted it to that area. I thought I could work out from the center to the perimeter then to the wall but when I tried to move the wrinkles towards the wall it was impossible as the wrinkle reappeared as there was nothing to hold it back. I carried on to put in a couple of inches of water, then started in the middle as suggested and worked my way to the edges with my hands and a squeegie. I spent a couple of hours in the pool doing this and it worked excellent. I got 99% of the wrinkles out - I was amazed. It seems we just needed that bit of water to keep the liner in place when the wrinkles were shifted. We continued trying to fill the pool with water over the weekend but it was painfully slow as I live out of town and have a jet pump which is a piece of junk and it would have taken me a week to fill the pool. I ended up having only 12" of water in the pool after 36 hours so I ordered up a truck load of water early this week ($215.00 for 5500 gallons) but had to wait a day for the guy to come. That put the water perfectly just under my return liner so we could cut out and install return and skimmer. We then topped up with the hose and I have had the pool circulating the wateer and adjusting the balance while I am finishing up my plumbing. Just vacuumed the pool last night, balanced the water overnight and put in shock this morning and should be pooling this weekend. I just hope we get some nice days to use it, although I did install 4 of the 2 x 20' solar panels on my roof so if there's any sun it should help the heating.

In any event I would like to thank everyone for their replies and just wish (maybe a sticky might be a good thing - moderators) the manufacturers and sellers of pool liners would have some decent instructions explaining that some liners are tighter than others and you may have to stretch them when necessary so it would save a lot of people out there a lot of heartache. The only info I could find out there ( and I combed the net )seemed to infer that you simply "hang the liner over the wall, smoooth out and fill", which couldn't be further from the truth.

I am pleased we finally got it in.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”