Can I trim the "overlap" part of my pool liner off

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
georgerhjr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Can I trim the "overlap" part of my pool liner off

Postby georgerhjr » Sat 20 May, 2006 22:07

We have an old above ground pool in very good shape except for the part of the liner that overlaps the pool wall. It is all dried out and faded and kind of an eyesore, to me anyway. My question is can i trim off this "overlap" part that is outside of the pool to "clean up" the outside look of the pool or would this be a problem? Other than the liner, the pool looks great. The part of the liner in the pool is fine also. We are going to replace the liner eventually, but i just want the pool to look a little neater for now.

Postby Guest » Sun 21 May, 2006 10:44

I trimmed mine when replacing it (left a couple inches below coping). The only problem you may have is if you had to drop the liner to make a repair, the liner may shrink and it could be difficult to get it back. In your case it prabably doesn't matter since its brittle and would tear anyway.

You could also try folding the liner up so it is out of sight.
georgerhjr
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby georgerhjr » Fri 09 Jun, 2006 21:45

Just wanted to let anyone interested know that i did go ahead trim the dried up overlap off a month or so ago and everything is fine and the pool looks MUCH better. I took off 2 top rails at a time and very carefully cut the overlap part so about only 2 inches remained. I was careful not to scratch the wall as this might cause rusting problems down the line. Also at first i loosened the support columns one at a time to trim the liner behind them but this was kind of difficult because there's not to much room to manuever. So instead i just cut as close to the columns as possible and tucked the rest behind the columns so the liner is not visible, very carefully again, with a flat tip screwdriver. Once i put the top rails on again, no more overlap is visible and the pool looks great. Hope this helps someone out there. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”