new pool liner installed

Liner issues and problems installing or
maintaining above ground swimming pools.
help

new pool liner installed

Postby help » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 12:23

Had a new pool liner installed by a pool company. Did not put corners in for two months. Sand erosion occurred during heavy rains. Pool co. emptied pool until 3 feet left in deep end the following year and fixed indents and refilled pool. While putting in the water too quickly they left a circular indent approximately 3 inches deep. Now when I go to vacuum my vacuum sticks to the liner everywhere and I noticed wrinkles in the shallow end. Had another pool company come out and they stated that I needed a new liner installed because they didn't put a vacuum on it when they refilled it and that pools with vinyl liners are not to be emptied less than 12 inches of water on bottom of liner. Is this true or is there something else that can be done..

Vinyl Master
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

New pool liner installed

Postby Vinyl Master » Tue 11 Aug, 2009 16:00

Sorry to say but it sounds like you have 2 pool companies that don't know how to handle vinyl liners. As far as emptying your pool to repair the sand bottom that is normal. We drain aprox 4 pools a day to repair different problems. With that being said you don't want to leave the pool empty any longer than you have to and when it is time to refill you need to install suction behind the liner until you get aprox 8" of water into the shallow end. You say that your pool vac is getting stuck to the floor this is usually caused by a leak in the liner floating the liner up off the bottom. Are you loosing any water? If I were you I would have the liner checked for leaks. Then hire a pool company to drain the pool retrowel the sand bottom then reset the liner. on a new liner if they know what they are doing shouldn't be a problem.

new pool liner installed

Postby Guest » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 11:32

There doesn't seem to be a leak in the liner as I never have to add water. What I have notice though is since they emptied the pool the first time my corners are now pulling out at the shallow end too. The reason the corners don't seem to fit at the deep end is they are out by more than an inch when they originally installed the liner which is when they also cut out for the skimmer basket, jets, steps. There are also wrinkles all over the pool but more in the shallow end. The problem didn't start with the vacuum until they emptied the pool the first time to fix the washouts that they had caused by not putting the corners in when they installed the liner originallly. So if I take out the liner and have the sand work done the liner could not be put in correctly because of the cut out for the stairs and jets ect. so it would have to be put back in to where the corners don't line up again?. By the way when they emptied it the first time they didn't put a vacuum on it and it sat that way from 4p.m. to approx. 7p.m. while they waited for the water truck to arrive. Would this cause a problem with the liner wrinkling and the corners coming out at the shallow end? I have already had two pool company's come out to look at the pool and both of them say that the liner cannot be reused because the holes are in the wrong place and because they almost drained the pool and didn't put a vacuum on it the water in the deep end pulled the liner from the shallow end causing the wrinkles and causing the corners at the shallow end to pull out of the coping. Are they wrong?
Vinyl Master
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

New pool liner installed

Postby Vinyl Master » Wed 12 Aug, 2009 15:05

Yes you are wright the mistake they made was not running a vac behind the liner. The vac holds the liner in place until you have enough water on the shallowend floor holding the liner in place then the vac is removed and water filled to operating level. With the vac running before any water is put into the pool you can see if the liner is positioned right. No wrinkles. The 2nd mistake made was cutting in the fittings before the liner was properly positioned. I am guessing you are not from southern Ontario. What we do is weld in new pieces of vinyl where the liner has been cut out then start over with the install. Sounds like you may need a new liner.

Return to “Liner & Above Ground Pools”