"Fix A Leak" Sealer

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Jgls
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18000 litre small stern Bahamas above ground.cartrudge filter. Small pump.

Re: "Fix A Leak" Sealer

Postby Jgls » Tue 19 Jan, 2016 16:43

Marking tell me it's a temp measure at best. Utterly devastated by that as halfway thru the process of using fix a leak in my tiny 18000 litre pool. It is all we have, my daughter and myself, for our hot Aussie Summer hols, and had emailed them to find out exactly what to do as I did not understand the instructions, but then I also found them on Facebook and messaged them, so I did what the Facebook guy told me to do and then got an email from management saying it is a temporary measure at best! And different instructions! we are actually actually devastated as we cannot afford a repairman nor find leak ourselves. Utterly devastated.

Jgls
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 18000 litre small stern Bahamas above ground.cartrudge filter. Small pump.

Postby Jgls » Tue 19 Jan, 2016 16:47

Sorry. Marlig.
Larry
Pool Forums Admin
My Pool: Pool Pro
Exclusively tiled concrete pools

Postby Larry » Wed 20 Jan, 2016 14:00

We use "Fix A Leak" sometimes when the leak is very hard to find or repair. We have had pools with some improvement (30-40%) and other pools with 100% success.

The pools were all concrete pools, some inground and some in a concrete building on a middle or upper floor. We have found that older leaks in inground pools are less well treated when the water table is high or the ground is wet and saturated. We consistently have the best results when the exterior pool walls are exposed to the air (in upper floor pools or pools with a service passage around the sides).

We have found little or no regression of the repaired leak, even after several years. I don't know who told you the repair was only temporary as we have had no such experience.

If you could share details about the pool and the leak, giving as much detail as possible, perhaps we could help you solve your problem. Things to try include: type of pool, speed of leak, location, wet or muddy clues, speed of leak with pump on and off,...

Larry
StephenH
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: My pool is very large and awesome parts :P

Postby StephenH » Fri 12 Feb, 2016 01:45

In addition to water loss exceeding the average caused by evaporation, a number of other signs may indicate a leak. Presence of algae in the water despite recent chemical treatment, loose tiles around the perimeter of the pool, separation between skimmer boxes, light fixtures and drains and the main pool shell, cracks in the pool deck and unexplained damp areas in soil surrounding the pool should all be red flags. Another sign may be puddling of water in the above-ground filter well.

You can perform a DIY test to see if water loss exceeds the amount caused by evaporation and to roughly estimate the source of the leak. Place an empty 5-gallon plastic container in the water on the second step of the pool. Fill the 5-gallon container with water to precisely match the pool’s water level. Turn off the recirculating pump as well as any auto-refill device if the pool is so equipped. Wait 24 hours and compare the pool water level to the level of water in the plastic container. If the pool level has declined more than the level in the container, there is likely a leak somewhere. The source can be narrowed by repeating the same test, this time with the pump recirculating water for the next 24 hours. If the water loss in the pool is even greater with water circulating under pressure, a leak somewhere in the pool plumbing is likely. Otherwise you gotta contact the drainage contractors or go further and read below lines.

Where pool water loss is strictly due to evaporation, installation and regular use of a pool cover can reduce evaporation by as much as 90 percent. Restricting use of a pool heater, if installed, can also bring down loss due to evaporation. Professional pool leak detection services use various methods ranging from infusing dye into specific locations in the pool to super-sensitive underwater sound sensors that detect the audio signature of water seepage to micro-video cameras threaded into pool plumbing to pinpoint the source of water leakage. Not all pool leaks require the kind of major excavation many homeowners dread. In fact, plumbing leaks are more likely to occur in above-ground pumping and filtration equipment than buried pipes, and many leaks in the pool shell can be repaired without even draining the pool.
Macksmith
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: good

Postby Macksmith » Fri 08 Apr, 2016 02:08

Pipe leakage can cause what is called a "washout" which could wash soils away from the leaking area, thus causing a void space or weakened soil conditions.As for the joint in the pool leaking, this is very possible but how to correct it is not. We have a process for applying epoxy to pool shels to fix cracks that works but you have a premade joint in the pool itself.Might be best to contact an Pool leak detection service for his opinion.They are experts in these leakages problems.
ngunn

Postby ngunn » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 19:53

Will this fix a leak sealer work on above ground pools? F

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”