Pool losing water to strainer basket line

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Kudida
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: plaster, in ground pool with main drain and skimmer. Also have a spa.

Pool losing water to strainer basket line

Postby Kudida » Thu 25 Aug, 2016 21:48

My pool loses water until it reaches the skimmer basket line (about 1-2inches). I have stopped using the skimmer and am only using the main drain. The water has not dropped any further, even with the pump running. I cannot see where the water is going. There is no leak at the pump. Does that mean its an underground leak? Do I have to dig the suction piping?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool losing water to strainer basket line

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 03:18

I agree that you have a leak in your skimmer suction line. I assume that you have isolated the skimmer line by a valve near the pump
Leave the skimmer line closed and refill if the water drops again that will prove the leak is there
Leak sealers can work on the pressure side but not very well on the suction side
I think the answer is to dig, how deep are the pipes, do you see any wet spots?
Kudida
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: plaster, in ground pool with main drain and skimmer. Also have a spa.

Postby Kudida » Fri 26 Aug, 2016 08:14

Thanks. One of the mysteries is that there is no visible water coming out, no wet spots anywhere yet 2 inches of water is disappearing! I assume its going into the ground somewhere, I hope its into some kind of overflow outlet. I have not dug yet so I am not sure how deep the pipes are.
DaleneHodges
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby DaleneHodges » Thu 29 Sep, 2016 07:20

Was facing the same problem. Thanks for the solution.
Imuvingi

Postby Imuvingi » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 16:14

Dalene, I tried to post a reply last week and notice that its not showing. Do not dig yet. I solved my leak and this might work for you hopefully. Get a plug and plug the outlet in the skimmer basket. Fill up the pool to at least an inch above the skimmer basket. Wait 24 hours and see if you still lose water. If you do, the leak is not in the suction lines but rather at the throat of the skimmer basket i.e. the joint between the pool and the skimmer. Get epoxy for sealing pools from a pool shop. You may have to remove the flap for easier access and lie on your tummy quite a bit because the joint is under the bridge between the pool and the skimmer opening. Seal along the joint line and up on each side at least to two inches above the outlet. Total cost was $25 and an hour to two of labor (leak detectors had quoted me $350-400 just to find the leak and estimated repair costs to be around $1000!!!!).

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”