Split in seam of brand new liner!

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Kathyg
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Our pool is semi above-ground in France, 28' x 15', heated and with automatic dosing system and a huge Zeolite filter.

Split in seam of brand new liner!

Postby Kathyg » Thu 20 Apr, 2017 10:51

We recently fitted a brand new liner to our pool and were horrified to find a 1" split in one of the seams - following several days of waiting for it to fill...... We've now patched it up and all is well. I've asked the supplier to cover the cost of a pool's worth of water and compensation for the extra stress and time involved in finding and fixing the leak. After waiting a month I wrote again stating that we had no confidence in the life of the liner, that seam in particular, and would like them to pay for it to be professionally repaired at some point - if such a thing can be done. The supplier has passed on a message from the manufacturer that they're offering a goodwill gesture of £75 - (10% of his invoice). The liner cost us £1500, not that that's relevant but I think £75 is a paltry sum. What does everyone else think?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Split in seam of brand new liner!

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 06:32

I don't know what the legal position is in France but here in the UK goods must be of a merchantable quality and fit for the purpose for which they were sold. I would assume that France in the EU would have a similar law. Check that out and dig your heels in. Your deal was with the supplier not the manufacturer
Kathyg
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Our pool is semi above-ground in France, 28' x 15', heated and with automatic dosing system and a huge Zeolite filter.

Postby Kathyg » Sat 22 Apr, 2017 09:00

Thank you Dennis. The pool's in France but I'm in the UK and I bought the liner from a UK supplier. He now tells me he's having a talk with the manufacturer (Certikin) on Monday to try and resolve this. We're now asking for them to pay for it to be professionally repaired. I'm not hearing good things about the giant that Certikin is so we might have a battle on our hands.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 23 Apr, 2017 03:44

That helps that you bought from a UK supplier as English/EU law will apply.
Always remember. Merchantable quality and fit for the purpose for which they were sold.
I don't think Certikin would be the manufacturer as they are a wholesale supplier but they would probably be the people to make a decision
Threatening a small claims court action may persuade them to settle being as you would also claim for the damaged one to be replaced
Did you take photographic evidence as that will help your case
Kathyg
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby Kathyg » Sun 23 Apr, 2017 13:40

Denniswiseman wrote:I don't think Certikin would be the manufacturer as they are a wholesale supplier but they would probably be the people to make a decision
Ah thank you, I thought Certikin were manufacturers.

Threatening a small claims court action may persuade them to settle being as you would also claim for the damaged one to be replaced.
We would indeed but not sure I can face the trauma of fitting another one!

Did you take photographic evidence as that will help your case
Didn't have an underwater camera out there at the time, tried my iPhone in a ziplock bag but that didn't work. Off out there again in June so will sort a photo out then..... My supplier is speaking to Certikin tomorrow so we'll see what they come up with.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”