Pool filter drains after being powered off

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
JoeG
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallons, Triton 60 DE filter, pump with basket and clear cover, heater.

Pool filter drains after being powered off

Postby JoeG » Wed 11 Jul, 2018 18:24

I have an in-ground pool with all nozzles and other connections submerged. The filter tank, pump, and heater are 20 years old. When I turn off the equipment, the filter tank drains. Looking in the pump, the prime water is full to the top of the view lid. There is no DE (that I can see even after brushing) going back into the pool. There are no leaks from any of the equipment (filter tank, pump, heater, associated pipes and valves). I just had the filter tank bottom parts replaced because of a leak that was obvious. Then the top (lid) of the tank started to leak which has since been fixed by the technician cleaning the o-ring and re-seating the lid. He did mention that the lid went on easier than he thought it should have, and that if it leaks again that I should let him know. As for the pump, I put a new o-ring for the view lid on last year. It does not leak. The, what I will call a back-flow valve (not backwash), was also just replaced. Might be called a check valve (I'm not a pool technician).

Any ideas of where to look next? Can it be that the o-rings need to be replaced anyways? Can the tank be old and in need of replacement?

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Pool filter drains after being powered off

Postby Denniswiseman » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 03:09

Generally when a filter drains out there is an air leak
The fact that the pump basket is full and doesn't drain would indicate that the fault is around the positive side (filter and MPV)
If the check valve was replaced make sure that isn't faulty
Do you get any air bubbles from the returns
JoeG
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 15,000 gallons, Triton 60 DE filter, pump with basket and clear cover, heater.

Postby JoeG » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 15:02

When the filter is powered back on, the air is forced through the pipes to the pool and spa. It makes the entire pool look like it has spa jets going. Should the check valve rattle at all? It makes a rattling noise when the filter is running.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 15:09

JoeG wrote:When the filter is powered back on, the air is forced through the pipes to the pool and spa. It makes the entire pool look like it has spa jets going. Should the check valve rattle at all? It makes a rattling noise when the filter is running.

Not sure what type ofcheck valve you have but I wouldn't expect it to rattle
Is this only while air is being purged out ofthe system
JoeG
I'm new here
I'm new here

Postby JoeG » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 11:11

It rattles while it is operating. The one that was replaced did the same.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sun 22 Jul, 2018 12:17

JoeG wrote:Then the top (lid) of the tank started to leak which has since been fixed by the technician cleaning the o-ring and re-seating the lid. He did mention that the lid went on easier than he thought it should have, and that if it leaks again that I should let him know.

Well I am just guessing here, I know where I would start!

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”