Leak in bottom of pool

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
DamienMoran
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 70 thousand litre concrete pool

Leak in bottom of pool

Postby DamienMoran » Mon 10 Dec, 2018 04:46

All,

We have been fault finding an mystery leak in our swimming pool. We have ruled out a leak in the skimmer box and associated piping due to the water level dropping below the skimmer box and also no visible leaks around the pool pump and filter box.

What we do have is a round PVC system at the bottom of the pool with 2 40mm holes in it. After some online research i though this to be a hydrostatic valve, but after watching some videos im not so sure. It appears one of the holes returns back to the skimmer box and the other one im not sure about. I stuck a stick down the unknown hole and it went it around half a metre before hitting a stop end.

Any idea where the hydrostatic valve is or is it possible the unknown hole ends in the earth?

This must be where it is leaking to but unsure whether or not its something i should plug up or repair.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Re: Leak in bottom of pool

Postby Teapot » Tue 11 Dec, 2018 09:43

Sounds like the hydrostatic valve may have been removed. You could get an expanding plug and test if this is the problem
DamienMoran
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: 70 thousand litre concrete pool

Postby DamienMoran » Wed 12 Dec, 2018 05:59

Thank you. I am thinking of this also by just sitting it in there without expanding it as the pool pressure should keep it in place but also allow the reverse should the pressure from the ground water be grater at any stage.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 13 Dec, 2018 16:16

I wasn't thinking of leaving it permanently in place, just to see if it stops the leak.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 14 Dec, 2018 04:53

The ground pressure won't be greater untill the pool water drops below the ground water level
ErikaJean
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: I have a very small swimming pool.

Postby ErikaJean » Sat 12 Jan, 2019 03:51

I agree with Denniswiseman.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Sat 12 Jan, 2019 13:47

:D Me to. Except I have been out to plenty of liners that have floated due to ground water pressure being slightly more. In this case we are led to believe the actual valve is missing.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”