Return jet leak

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Joroco
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, 12m (l) x 3.5m (w) x 1.5m (D), sand filter, tiled surface

Return jet leak

Postby Joroco » Tue 12 Mar, 2019 22:33

Hi,

I have a leak in my concrete pool. I turned off pump and water level dropped 4" in 3 days until below return jets. Problem is I have 8 return jets so not sure which one(s) is leaking.

I live in Philippines so I'm sure pool construction is substandard. I have attached a pic of one of the return jets....was this installed properly? A "professional" pool company came in and sealed all the jets and performed a pressure test and said everything is fine yet pool continues to,leak.

Any idea how water could be leaking out through return jets?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_5241.jpg

TheChieftain
I'm new here
I'm new here
My Pool: Free form pool, inground, Gunnite, PebbleTec, blue surface, 35000 gallons, Pentair equipment, raised spa, waterfeatures, airblower, DE filter, multiport valve, Backwash, negative edge, heater, booster pump, Polaris 280, Easytouch Automation system, ScreenLogic.

Re: Return jet leak

Postby TheChieftain » Wed 13 Mar, 2019 21:44

Hi,

Is your pool concrete (Gunite), vinyl, or fiberglass? Looks like vinyl to me.

Is it an inground pool or above ground?

Do you have a spa that’s higher than the pool?

In the picture it kinda looks like the vinyl is separated from the wall fitting.
Joroco
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast
My Pool: Inground pool, 12m (l) x 3.5m (w) x 1.5m (D), sand filter, tiled surface

Postby Joroco » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 07:16

Inground Concrete pool with tiles. No spa above the pool.
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 08:09

Accepting the pipes do not leak (from the pressure test) what height is the equipment pad in relation to the water line?
Joroco
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Joroco » Thu 14 Mar, 2019 20:02

The pad the pool pump sits on is 4' below return jets. What keeps the water from exiting pool through return jets when pool is off, pressure?
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 15 Mar, 2019 04:31

The fact that there are no leaks around the pad means that the system is closed so wouldn't leak but would always be under positive pressure
I would suspect a fault with the spider gasket in your multiport valve allowing the pool water to run to waste
Is the waste connection plumbed in so that you can't see the leak
Joroco
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Joroco » Fri 15 Mar, 2019 06:30

Actually the pump was leaking. I took pump apart thinking there was a gasket but there was only 4 screws which I wrapped with Teflon tape and tightened back up. So if pump was leaking then the pressure would be affected and water would drain out through the return jets? I have attached pics of pump that I took apart...thanks for your help..,hard to find anyone in philippines that knows what they are talking about.
IMG_5258.jpg
IMG_5257.jpg
IMG_5245.jpg
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Fri 15 Mar, 2019 07:46

Joroco wrote:Actually the pump was leaking. I took pump apart thinking there was a gasket but there was only 4 screws which I wrapped with Teflon tape and tightened back up. So if pump was leaking then the pressure would be affected and water would drain out through the return jets? I have attached pics of pump that I took apart...thanks for your help..,hard to find anyone in philippines that knows what they are talking about.
IMG_5258.jpg
IMG_5257.jpg
IMG_5245.jpg

It's very unlikely that the screws were the source of the leak as all they do are hold the parts together
If you don't have a gasket or "O" ring, clean up the mating surfaces and smear silicone lightly over them. Re assemble and leave overnight for the silcone to set before running it again
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Fri 15 Mar, 2019 12:05

Joroco wrote:The pad the pool pump sits on is 4' below return jets. What keeps the water from exiting pool through return jets when pool is off, pressure?

Which was obviously where I was heading, glad you found the leak. The bolts, as Dennis said wouldn't normally be a leak point unless they were loose, often they are blind holes to prevent leaks. From your first pump photo it looks like there is a large O ring (around 120mm dia) which should be silicon greased or some sealant as suggested.

It is still possible to get a leak in this situation as it could be via siphon effect, switching off the pump starts the siphon from the spider gasket leak.
Anyway good you sorted it.
Joroco
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Joroco » Tue 11 Jun, 2019 22:52

IMG_5667.jpg
IMG_5667.jpg (56.18 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
IMG_5666.jpg
IMG_5666.jpg (54.65 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
Hi again....pool still leaking....2" per day. When water level is just below return jets pool does not leak so I assume the concrete shell is fine.

I live in the Philippines where finding credible Pool contractors is hard. The contractor had installed a Chinese pump and filter. I have attached pics of the filter where water is leaking from multi-port valve and the sight glass is full of water and bubbles in filter mode. The backwash pipe is 20ft from house and is still wet even though I haven't backwashed in a week. My filter doesn't have a backwash valve like some of the pics I have seen online...was the backwash line installed properly? Could these filter issues be the source of my 2" per day leak? Thanks in advance
Attachments
IMG_5665.jpg
IMG_5665.jpg (52.77 KiB) Viewed 4390 times
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 01:46

They are presumably above the water line? If so no to the source of your leak.
Sympathise with you problem, just replacing one of my returns, the fitting had broken after 17 years with some ground settlement. Liner is a bit stiff with age so having to go careful.
Joroco
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Joroco » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 04:52

Equipment is below the water line
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Teapot » Wed 12 Jun, 2019 05:29

Right to the top of the filter?
Joroco
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Joroco » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 05:47

Top of filter is probably a foot below skimmer drain pipe
Joroco
Pool Enthusiast
Pool Enthusiast

Postby Joroco » Thu 13 Jun, 2019 05:52

Another question.....today I removed the multiport from the top of the filter. I turned off the power and closed the valves on the return line pipes, skimmer pipe and floor drain pipe. When I unhooked the pipe leading to filter from the pump it continued to drain water. Why would this happen if all power is off and valves on pipes are closed? If power is off should the water from the pump stop as well? Could that be how I'm losing water in the pool? Water is entering filter from pump when pool is off and flowing out backwash pipe?

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”