Where is my air in the return jets coming from? Pump basked has no air bubbles.

Leaks in the pool, plumbing, filtration system, skimmer, ...
Finding & repairing swimming pool leaks.
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Where is my air in the return jets coming from? Pump basked has no air bubbles.

Postby Mike_Snoo » Fri 18 Sep, 2020 19:40

Hi,

I replumbed my pool area and since that time I have air coming from the return jets. The funny thing is, the pool basked is filled up completely and there is no air bubble to see at all. Means I guess the air must come in somewhere on the discharge side of the pool, but that sounds to me very weird.

Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Re: Where is my air in the return jets coming from? Pump basked has no air bubbles.

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 02:26

Return air bubbles have to be on the suction side unless you have a venturi
I had the same problem and it was a leak on my pump motor shaft seal but it only happened when I vacuumed
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Re: Where is my air in the return jets coming from? Pump basked has no air bubbles.

Postby Mike_Snoo » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 05:26

Oh, that make sense. I took the motor apart and cleaned everything carefully when I re plumbed everything. I looked at the seal, but it looked ok, and just cleaned it with alcohol.

Could the venturi happen with just regula operation?

That could explain why I have air bubbles even when the pool pump basked is filled up top with water and no air bubbles.
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 10k inground fibreglass, Telescopic Cover, Hayward Powerline pump, Quality filter with glass media, 27kw output heat pump, K-2006C test kit

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 19 Sep, 2020 07:17

I think the only way a venturi would be in your system would be from a dosing system
It would have been best to leave the pump alone, you're not supposed to touch the ceramic seal with your hands
Even my seal looked OK but it was obviously leaking
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Tue 22 Sep, 2020 17:12

I second Dennis,
Mike_Snoo
Pool Care Proficient
Pool Care Proficient

Postby Mike_Snoo » Fri 25 Sep, 2020 21:56

Alright, so I changed the shaft seal and it is still leaking air.

Could it be that the drain plugs have a leak?
Attachments
drain (Mittel).jpg
Denniswiseman
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader

Postby Denniswiseman » Sat 26 Sep, 2020 02:13

Yes, but did you touch them when you disassembled the pump
Some have a seal which can leak, wrap PTFE round the threads but not to much as it can split the plastic casing
I only know of 4 ways to suck in air
The inlet pipe (would show air in the pump basket)
The pump basket "O" ring (would show air in the pump basket)
Shaft seal
Drain plugs
Teapot
Pool Industry Leader
Pool Industry Leader
My Pool: 12 x 24 (45m3) liner pool, Triton TR60 filter with AFM glass media (Activate) and variable speed pump running 0.08HP

Postby Teapot » Sat 26 Sep, 2020 15:49

Or any of the unions on the inlet side. The O rings age, get compressed from round to flat.
Embarrassingly I have to admit to an O ring issue myself this year.

Return to “Swimming Pool Leaks”